Installing or removing a PCI Express card: Ethernet card, RAID card, or
other supported types of PCI Express cards
Your server comes with seven PCI Express (PCIe) card slots. Depending on your needs, you can install a
PCIe card to obtain the corresponding function or remove the card if necessary. PCIe cards vary by type,
but the installation and removal procedures are the same.
Note: The PCIe cards are sensitive to ESD. Ensure that you read and understand "Handling static-sensitive
devices" on page 64 first and carefully perform the operation.
Installing a PCIe card
Attention: Do not open your server or attempt any repair before reading and understanding "Safety information"
on page iii and "Guidelines" on page 63.
Before you begin, print all the related instructions or ensure that you can view the PDF version on another
computer for reference.
• Depending on the specific type, the PCIe card might look different from the illustrations in this topic.
• Use any documentation that comes with the PCIe card and follow those instructions in addition to
the instructions in this topic.
• Ensure that you back up your data before installing a RAID card because you might need to reconfigure
RAID and reinstall the operating system after installing the RAID card.
To install a PCIe card, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. If the server is installed in a rack cabinet, remove the server from the rack cabinet and place it on a flat,
clean, and static-protective surface. See the Rack Installation Instructions that comes with the server. If
the server is in tower form factor, lay the server on its side for easier operation.
3. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 66.
4. Remove the cooling shroud. See "Removing the cooling shroud" on page 69.
5. Locate an appropriate PCIe card slot on the system board for installing the PCIe card. For information
about the PCIe card slots, see "System board components" on page 41.
6. Remove any parts and disconnect any cables that might impede your operation.
ThinkServer TD350 User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual