12. Close the small handle
microprocessor in the socket.
Note: There are two marks on the microprocessor retainer. Ensure that you close the small handle
first and then close the small handle marked with
when you close the small handles.
Figure 92. Securing the microprocessor in the socket
13. Use a cleaning pad to wipe the thermal grease from the removed heat sink. Dispose of the cleaning
pad after all of the thermal grease is removed.
14. Use one of the following methods to apply appropriate amount of thermal grease to the top of the newly
installed microprocessor in the shape of a cross or a circle as shown. Using too much or too little
thermal grease can cause a thermal problem due to imperfect contact with the components.
• Do not touch the thermal grease.
• Keep the thermal grease off the system board.
Figure 93. Applying the thermal grease to the top of the microprocessor
15. Reinstall the heat sink. See "Replacing the heat sink" on page 154.
16. If you are instructed to return the old microprocessor, follow all packaging instructions and use any
packaging materials that are supplied to you for shipping.
ThinkServer TD350 User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual
first and then close the small handle
to lock the retainer and secure the new
. Always follow the correct sequence