1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. If the server is installed in a rack cabinet, remove the server from the rack cabinet and place it on a flat,
clean, and static-protective surface. See the Rack Installation Instructions that comes with the server. If
the server is in tower form factor, lay the server on its side for easier operation.
3. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 66.
4. Locate the backplanes. See "Hot-swap-drive backplane" on page 37.
5. Remove the AnyRAID adapter or the pass-through board. See "Replacing the AnyRAID adapter or
the pass-through board" on page 143.
6. Remove all the installed hot-swap storage drives and dummy trays (if any) from the storage-drive bays.
See "Installing or replacing a hot-swap internal storage drive" on page 112.
7. Record the cable connections on the backplane, and then disconnect all the cables from the backplane.
8. Depending on the server model, do one of the following:
• For the server models with 3.5-inch-drive backplane, press the two release tabs
3.5-inch-drive backplane a little bit upward so that it is released from the hooks on the chassis. Then,
carefully remove the 3.5-inch-drive backplane out of the chassis.
Figure 115. Removing the 3.5-inch-drive backplane
and gently lift the