Installing the intrusion switch
Attention: Do not open your server or attempt any repair before reading and understanding "Safety information"
on page iii and "Guidelines" on page 63.
Before you begin, print all the related instructions or ensure that you can view the PDF version on another
computer for reference.
Note: Use any documentation that comes with the intrusion switch and follow those instructions in addition
to the instructions in this topic.
To install the intrusion switch, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. If the server is installed in a rack cabinet, remove the server from the rack cabinet and place it on a flat,
clean, and static-protective surface. See the Rack Installation Instructions that comes with the server.
3. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 66.
4. Remove the cooling shroud. See "Removing and reinstalling the cooling shroud" on page 68.
5. Touch the static-protective package that contains the intrusion switch to any unpainted surface on the
outside of the server. Then, take the intrusion switch out of the package.
6. Insert the intrusion switch into the chassis. Then, push the new intrusion switch in the direction
as shown until it is seated securely.
Figure 63. Installing the intrusion switch
7. Connect the intrusion switch cable to the intrusion switch connector on the system board. See "System
board components" on page 41.
What to do next:
• To work with another piece of hardware, go to the appropriate section.
• To complete the installation, go to "Completing the parts replacement" on page 164.