Reloading the Flash EEPROM
Follow this procedure to load a new version of SystemGuard into the flash EEPROM, which
may be necessary when you install a new version of AIX for example. Only system
administrators should perform this procedure.
If the system is not yet booted, you need a firmware diskette containing the new version of
the firmware to be loaded. If the system is already booted, you need the full path name of a
file containing the new version of the firmware to be loaded.
Reloading the Flash EEPROM (stand-by phase)
Insert the firmware diskette in the drive, place the Mode Switch in the Service position, and
then turn the system power on. The firmware diskette is identified by a special header which
distinguishes it from diskettes containing other data. The existing firmware recognizes the
special header and automatically loads the new firmware version.
Reloading the Flash EEPROM (run-time phase)
If AIX is already up and running (the run-time phase), reloading the firmware requires more
steps, because the machine is rebooted after the firmware is reloaded. Therefore, the root
user who performs this procedure should be the only logged user. To reload the flash
EEPROM, one method is to shut down the system and reboot using the procedure
"Reloading the Flash EEPROM (stand-by phase)" described above. The other method is:
1. Make sure that no other users are logged in to the system (log them out if necessary).
2. Make sure that you have root authority (use the su command if necessary).
3. Enter the diag command.
4. Select the BUMP Service Aids option.
5. Select the Flash Eprom Download option.
6. Enter the full path name for the file containing the new flash EEPROM.
7. The system is automatically rebooted
Modifying SystemGuard Parameters