Golf 2004 ➤ , Golf Plus 2005 ➤
Running gear, axles, steering - Edition 08.2009
– Before dismantling, mark position of ball hub in relation to ball
cage and joint body with an electric scriber or oil stone.
– Swing ball hub and ball cage.
– Remove balls one at a time.
– Turn cage until the two rectangular windows -arrow- align with
– Take out cage with hub.
– Swing segment of hub into square cage window.
– Tip hub out of cage.
The six balls for each joint belong to a tolerance group. Check
stub axle, hub, cage and balls for small indentations (pitting) and
traces of seizing. Too much circumferential backlash in the joint
becomes noticeable during load change jolts; in such cases, the
joint must be renewed. Smoothing and traces of wear of the balls
are no reason to change the joint.
– Pack half of total grease quantity (40 g) into joint body.
– Fit cage with hub into joint body.
– Press in opposing balls one after the other; the original position
of the hub relative to the cage and joint body must be restored.
– Fit new retaining ring into hub.
– Distribute remaining grease in boot.
– Checking function of constant velocity joint
The constant velocity joint is correctly assembled if the ball hub
can be moved by hand backwards and forwards over its entire
range of axial movement.
Checking inner constant velocity joint
The joint is to be dismantled to renew the grease if it is heavily
soiled, and to check the running surfaces and the balls for wear
Rep. Gr.42 - Rear suspension