When bolt is loosened or tightened, vehicle must not be stand‐
ing on its wheels.
The wheel bearing can be damaged by the weight of the vehi‐
cle if the bolt is loosened.
If a vehicle must be moved with the drive shaft removed, an
outer joint must be fitted and tightened to 50 Nm.
– Remove wheel.
– Remove nuts -arrows-.
– Pull drive shaft slightly out of wheel hub.
– Pull swivel bearing out of suspension link.
– Bend suspension link downwards as far as necessary.
– Install ball joint splitter -3287 A- as shown in illustration and
press out swivel joint.
Place engine and gearbox jack -V.A.G 1383 A- or similar un‐
derneath (danger of accident through falling parts when swivel
joint is pressed out).
Leave nut screwed on a few turns to protect thread on swivel
– Fit swivel joint in wheel bearing housing.
– Fit drive shaft in wheel hub.
– Screw on new self-locking nut and counterhold with -T40- Torx
Golf 2004 ➤ , Golf Plus 2005 ➤
Running gear, axles, steering - Edition 08.2009
3. Subframe, anti-roll bar, suspension link