Message concept of PCS 7
Servicing a system - message concept
The message system and diagnostic options of PCS 7 help you to assess the system status.
You can find information about the PCS 7 message concept in the following sections:
● PCS 7 message system (Page 54)
● Origin of a message (Page 55)
● Determining the source of a message (Page 56)
● Evaluating and understanding messages (Page 57)
Some basic terms used in the PCS 7 message concept are defined in the following:
Service support and diagnostics (V8.0)
Service Manual, 03/2012, A5E02779775-02
Events lead to a change in the data status in the automation system.
For example, an event can be the following:
A bit is modified in an automation system by a change to a process value, or after a
specified limit value was reached.
The configuration determines which events trigger a message.
Messages are triggered by events or by a message frame. PCS 7 has the following
● Operator input messages
● Process messages
● Operating messages
● Process control messages and system messages
In PCS 7, the PCS 7 Operator Station operator control and monitoring system is also
used to display errors and faults in the process.
● Error: component (object) status that does not disturb the process (for example,
defective display lamps).
● Fault:component (object) status that interferes with the process (for example, a