3.5 Updating the PCS 7 OS in runtime
Note about software updates
Note that you must use the appropriate hardware in order to take advantage of features in
new software versions.
You can find information on the minimum requirements for PC stations in PCS 7 in the manual
PCS 7 Process Control System; PC Configuration and Authorization.
Updating the PCS 7 OS in runtime
You have the option of updating a redundant PCS 7 OS configuration at runtime in order to
adapt the "older" version of your current PCS 7 process control system to a "newer" PCS 7
Updating the PCS 7 OS involves the following tasks:
● Preparatory measures
● Installation of the "new" software
● Commissioning measures required to adapt your existing PCS 7 process control system
Updating the PCS 7 OS during running operation offers the following benefits:
● Operation of the PCS 7 system is not disrupted.
● The AS does not enter STOP mode.
● The automation process can still be operator controlled and monitored.
Updating a redundant OS during operation
You can find more information about this in the documentation
7; Fault-tolerant Process Control Systems, Guide to Updating a Redundant OS During
Process Control System PCS
Service support and diagnostics (V8.0)
Service Manual, 03/2012, A5E02779775-02