3.2 Data backup
Options for data backup
You can back up project data in a variety of ways and for a variety of purposes, for example,
project archiving, image file.
After system failure, you can use a backup to quickly restore the system to its original state.
● WHAT?: Information on backing up and restoring data in a PCS 7 plant.
Backups are necessary if you want to restore the state of a component or
configuration (because a hard disk is damaged, for example).
● WHEN?: You should perform a data backup if changes have been made in
a PCS 7 plant.
● HOW?: You can find information on creating data backups in the section
"Options for data backup (Page 14)".
A SIMATIC station may switch to STOP mode if you change the hardware.
● WHAT?: Information on how to perform a firmware update and the
subsequent configuration steps required.
● WHEN?: If you want to convert components to a current firmware version
(because new functions are to be used or errors must be corrected, for
● HOW?: For information on firmware updates, refer to the "hardware
updates (Page 32)" section.
A SIMATIC station may switch to STOP mode if you change the software.
● WHAT?: Information on converting projects from older versions to a current
version. There are two types of software updates:
Updates that utilize the new functions of a new version of PCS 7
Updates that do not utilize the new functions of a new version of PCS 7
If you want to utilize new functions of a new version of PCS 7.
If you want to continually adapt your PCS 7 projects to the current state
If software corrections necessitate conversion.
● HOW?: For information about software updates, refer to the "Software
updates (Page 49)" section.
Service support and diagnostics (V8.0)
Service Manual, 03/2012, A5E02779775-02