Connecting the SVG1501U
CAUTION: Before plugging in the USB cable on the SVG1501U, load
the SVG1501 Installation CD-ROM in CD-ROM drive.
Do not connect the Ethernet and USB cables on the same computer at
Before starting, be sure the computer is turned on and the SVG1501U power cord is
1. Insert the SVG1501 Installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and install the
applicable USB drivers.
2. Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the cable outlet or splitter.
3. Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the Cable connector on the SVG1501U.
Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
4. Plug the power cord into the Power port on the SVG1501U.
5. Plug the other end of the power cord into an electrical wall outlet.
This automatically powers on the gateway. You do not need to unplug the gateway
when it is not in use. The first time you plug in the SVG1501U, allow it 5- to 30
minutes to find and lock on the appropriate communications channels.
6. Connect the USB or Ethernet cable to the appropriate port on the computer.
7. Connect the other end of the USB or Ethernet cable to the appropriate port on the
2 • Getting Started
SVG1501 LED Activity During Startup
Turns on when AC power is connected to the SVG1501.
Indicates power is connected properly.
Flashes while scanning for the downstream receive channel.
Changes to solid green when the receive channel is locked.
Flashes while scanning for the upstream send channel.
Changes to solid green when the send channel is locked.
Flashes during SVG1501 registration and configuration.
Changes to solid green when the SVG1501 is registered.