Port Status and Basic Configuration
Viewing Port Status and Configuring Port Parameters
Table 10-1. Status and Parameters for Each Port Type
Yes (default): The port is ready for a network connection.
No: The port will not operate, even if properly connected in a network. Use this setting, for example, if the
port needs to be shut down for diagnostic purposes or while you are making topology changes.
Up: The port senses a linkbeat.
Down: The port is not enabled, has no cables connected, or is experiencing a network error. For
troubleshooting information, see the installation manual you received with the switch. See also chapter 11,
"Troubleshooting" (in this manual).
• Auto-10: Allows the port to negotiate between half-duplex (HDx) and full-duplex (FDx) while keeping
speed at 10 Mbps. Also negotiates flow control (enabled or disabled). ProCurve recommends Auto-10
for links between 10/100 autosensing ports connected with Cat 3 cabling. (Cat 5 cabling is required for
100 Mbps links.).
• 10HDx: 10 Mbps, Half-Duplex
• 10FDx: 10 Mbps, Full-Duplex
• Auto (default): Senses speed and negotiates with the port at the other end of the link for port operation
(MDI-X or MDI). To see what the switch negotiates for the Auto setting, use the CLI show interfaces
brief command or the " 3. Port Status" option under "1. Status and Counters" in the menu interface.
• Auto-100: Uses 100 Mbps and negotiates with the port at the other end of the link for other port operation
• Auto-1000: Uses 1000 Mbps and negotiates with the port at the other end of the link for other port
• 100Hdx: Uses 100 Mbps, half-duplex.
• 100Fdx: Uses 100 Mbps, Full-Duplex
Port Mode Notes: Ensure that the device attached to the port is configured for the same setting that you
select here. If using "Auto", the device to which the port connects must also be using "Auto" and operate
in compliance with the IEEE 802.3ab "Auto Negotiation" standard for 1000Base-T networks.
Gigabit fiber-optic ports (Gigabit-SX, Gigabit-LX, and Gigabit-LH:
• 1000FDx: 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps), Full Duplex only
• Auto (default): The port operates at 1000FDx and auto-negotiates flow control with the device connected
to the port.
The switch supports Auto-MDIX on 1 Gb T/TX (copper) ports. (Fiber ports do not use this feature.)
• Automdix: Configures the port for automatic detection of the cable type (straight-through or crossover).
• MDI: Configures the port for connecting to a PC or other MDI device with a crossover cable.
• MDIX: Configures the port for connecting to a switch, hub, or other MDI-X device with a straight-through