5. Type the name of the input device that you are using, or press F4 to select the input device from a
6. Press Enter. The Install Additional Device Software window highlights the SOFTWARE to install
7. Press F4 to select List.
8. Type / to display the Find window.
9. Type the device package name devices.pci.xxxxxxx.
10. Press Enter. The system finds and highlights this device driver software.
11. Press F7 to select the highlighted device driver software.
12. Press Enter. The Install Additional Device Software window displays. The entry fields are
13. Press Enter to accept the information. The Are You Sure window displays.
14. Press Enter to accept the information. The Command Status window displays.
v The message RUNNING is highlighted to indicate that the installation and configuration
command is in progress.
v When RUNNING changes to OK, scroll to the bottom of the page and locate the installation
v After a successful installation, SUCCESS displays in the Result column of the installation summary
at the bottom of the page.
15. Remove the installation media from the drive.
16. Press F10 to exit SMIT.
Installing the adapter
This section explains how to install the adapter. If you are installing your operating system at this time,
install your adapter before you install the operating system. If the operating system is already installed
and you need to install the device driver for this adapter, install the device driver software before you
install the adapter. See "Installing the device driver software" on page 33 for instructions.
To install the adapter, follow these steps:
1. Determine the PCIe slot in which to place the adapter.
The POWER GXT145 PCI Express Graphics Accelerator adapter has an x1 PCIe connector and can be
placed in a PCIe x1, x4, x8, or x16 slot. See PCI adapter placement for information about the PCIe
slots on your system unit.
2. Shut down the system unit and install the adapter using the instructions in the system unit
documentation PCI adapters topic.
3. Connect the monitor cable to the adapter.
If necessary, you can use a DVI-A dongle (feature code 4276) for connecting a VGA 15-pin connector
on a monitor cable to the DVI connector on the adapter. For example, a DVI-A dongle is needed to
connect to a 7316-TF3 console or a KVM switch.
4. Start the system unit and the monitor.
5. When prompted, configure the adapter by following the online configuration instructions.
6. When Select Display (console) appears, press the number key on your keyboard for the monitor that
is to be the default.
If you have video problems after the initial installation, follow these procedures to troubleshoot the
v Check the cables.
Managing PCIe adapters