the Oil Filter
For replacement intervals, see the Maintenance
1. Drain the oil from the engine. See Remove
2. Remove the oil filter (C, Figure 14) and dispose of
3. Before you install the new oil filter, lightly lubricate the
oil filter gasket with fresh, clean oil.
4. Install the oil filter by hand until the gasket contacts
the oil filter adapter, then tighten the oil filter 1/2 to 3/4
5. Add oil. See Add Oilsection.
6. Start and run the engine. As the engine warms up,
check for oil leaks.
7. Stop the engine and check the oil level. It should be at
the FULL mark on the dipstick.
Place engine level.
Clean the oil fill area of any debris.
See the Specifications
section for oil capacity.
1. Remove the dipstick (D, Figure 13) and wipe with a
2. Pour the oil slowly into the engine oil fill (E). Do not
After adding oil, wait one minute and then
check the oil level.
3. Install and tighten the dipstick.
4. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level. It should
be at the FULL mark (F) on the dipstick.
5. Install and tighten the dipstick.
the Air Filter
Fuel and its vapors are extremely
Fire or explosion
can cause severe burns or
° Never start or run the engine with the air cleaner
assembly (if equipped) or the air filter (if equipped)
NOTICE: Do not use pressurized air or solvents to clean
the filter. Pressurized air can damage the filter and
solvents will dissolve the filter.
1. Remove the cover (A, Figure 15).
2. To remove the filter (B), lift the end of the filter.
3. Remove the pre-cleaner (C), if equipped, from the
4. To loosen debris, gently tap the filter on a hard sur
face. If the filter is excessively dirty, replace with a new
5. Wash the pre-cleaner in liquid detergent and water.
Then allow it to thoroughly air dry. Do not oil the pre-
6. Assemble the dry pre-cleaner to the filter.
7. Install the filter into the engine base (D) and push
down until the filter snaps in place.
8. Install the cover.