10. Carefully grasp the adapter by the top edge or upper corner and insert it in the
11. Follow the cabling instructions, if any, that come with the adapter. If possible,
12. Pinch the two sides of the one-slot riser card, and align the riser card with the
13. Install the riser card retaining screw at the front of the chassis.
If you have other devices to install or remove, do so now. Otherwise, go to
"Completing the installation" on page 42.
Installing an adapter in a two-slot riser card
Note: The two-slot riser card is part of an optional expansion enclosure; the riser
card and adapters are attached to the expansion enclosure. This procedure
assumes that an expansion enclosure is already installed on the system-board tray.
To install an adapter in a two-slot riser card, complete the following steps:
one-slot riser card. Align the adapter with the connector on the riser card; then,
press the adapter firmly into the connector.
Note: Make sure that the adapter is inserted correctly. Improper installation of
an adapter might damage the PCIe riser-card assembly or the adapter.
route the adapter cables before you install the adapter.
riser-card connector on the system board; then, press the riser card firmly,
evenly with both hands, into the connector.
PCIe bay cover
1. Read the safety information that begins on page v and "Installation guidelines"
on page 23.
2. Turn off the system-board tray and all attached devices (see "Turning off the
system-board tray" on page 22).
3. If the system-board tray is installed in a chassis, remove it (see "Removing a
system-board tray from a 2U chassis" on page 26).
4. Remove the expansion enclosure (see "Removing an expansion enclosure" on
page 29) and set it upside down on a flat, static-protective surface.
Note: If an adapter is already installed in the riser card, the riser card and
adapter are removed together.
5. Remove the screws, slide the PCIe adapter bay cover toward the front of the
expansion enclosure, and remove it. Save the screws and the PCIe adapter
bay cover for later use.
6. If an adapter is installed in the connector on the riser card where you are
installing the new adapter, remove it.
Chapter 3. Installing optional devices