When the number of set rings is detected, the printer automatically receives the fax.
Receiving a Fax Manually
You can turn the Auto Answer feature off if you wish to control the faxes that you receive. This is useful
if you do not want to receive unsolicited faxes, if you rarely receive faxes, or if it is expensive to use
faxes in your area.
1. Make sure your printer is on and properly set up to receive faxes. For more information, see
Setting Up the Printer With External
2. Turn Auto Answer off.
a. From the main menu, press the up or down Arrow button
press the Select button
b. Press the up or down Arrow button
c. Press the left or right Arrow button
d. Press the Back button
3. When the telephone rings, pick up the telephone attached to the printer and listen for the fax
4. If you hear the fax calling tone, type DELL# (3355#) on the operator panel keypad or on the
NOTE: DELL# is the default answer code. However, you can change this to any code. For
more information, see
Changing the Pickup Code
1. From the main menu, press the up or down Arrow button
the Select button
2. Press the down Arrow button
3. Press the up or down Arrow button
4. Press the up or down Arrow button
5. Use the keypad to specify a new one- to seven-digit keycode.
NOTE: Valid characters for the pickup code are 0–9, pound (#), and star (*). Any other
characters entered are ignored.
6. Press the Select button
Printing a Long Fax
Changing the Pickup
to scroll to Fax Setup, and then press the Select button
to scroll to Auto Answer.
to scroll to Off.
to scroll to Ringing and Answering, and then press the
to scroll to Manual Pickup Keycode, and then press the
to scroll to Fax, and then
to scroll to Fax, and then press