General cabling rules
Before starting the installation, check that none of the components
of the frequency converter is live.
Place the motor cables sufficiently far from other cables:
• Avoid placing the motor cables in long parallel lines with other
• If the motor cable runs in parallel with other cables, the minimum
distance between the motor cable and other cables is 1 ft. (0.3 m)
• The given distance also applies between the motor cables and sig-
nal cables of other systems.
• The maximum length of the motor cables for MI1-3 is 98 ft. (30 m).
For MI4 & 5, maximum length is 164 ft. (50 m), if use longer cable,
current accuracy will be decreased.
• The motor cables should cross other cables at an angle of 90 de-
If cable insulation checks are needed, see Chapter „3.11 Cable and
motor insulation checks" on page 32.
Connecting the cables:
• Strip the motor and mains cables as advised in Figure „Fig. 34.
Stripping of cables" on page 31.
• Connect the mains, motor and control cables into their respective
terminals, see Figures 3.16 to 3.29 and see Chapter „6.2
trol I/O" on page 42.
• Note the tightening torques of power cables and control cables
given in Chapter „Power cabling" on page 23 and „Control Ca-
bling" on page 24.
• For information on cable installation see Chapter „3.10 Cable in-
stallation" on page 32.
• Make sure that the control cable wires do not come in contact with
the electronic components of the unit.
• Check the connection of the earth cable to the motor and the fre-
quency converter terminals marked with
• Connect the separate shield of the motor cable to the earth plate
of the frequency converter, motor and the supply centre.
Application manual HVAC232/402 | Document 27-652 | Issue ENG06 | 2019-08-07
Stripping lengths of motor and mains
Fig. 34. Stripping of cables
Strip also the plastic cover of the cables for 360 degree earthing.
See Figures „Fig. 20. HVAC232/402
power connections, MI1" on page 23, „Fig. 21. HVAC232/402
power connections, MI2 - MI3" on page 23 and „Fig. 24.
Mount the PE-plate and API cable support,
MI1 - MI3" on page 24.
See Chapter „6.2
Control I/O" on page 42.