Preparing the USB-IDE hard disk drive in Windows 98
Siemens Building Technologies
Fire & Security Products
Preparing a USB-IDE hard disk drive under Windows ME is almost identical to Windows 98.
Connect the USB-IDE hard disk drive to your computer using the USB Cable.
Turn on your computer. The Add New Hardware wizard window will appear.
Install the device driver for the USB backup device following the instructions
provided with your USB hard disk drive.
If the USB-IDE hard disk drive is partitioned or contains data, it will show up in
My Computer as a hard disk drive icon. Check the file system in Properties >
General > File System. If the file system is NOT FAT32 format, format the
USB-IDE hard disk drive with FAT32 format.
Run the FDISK utility by clicking Start then RUN. Type "fdisk" and click OK.
When the MS-DOS command prompt appears, type "Y" and hit the enter key.
In the FDISK Option menu, choose "5. Change current fixed disk drive."
Choose the appropriate letter corresponding to the USB-IDE hard disk drive.
In the FDISK Option menu, choose "1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS
10. In the Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive menu, choose "1. Create
Primary DOS Partition." And Type "Y" to use all available space and hit the
enter key. Hit ESC to exit the screen after the USB-IDE hard disk drive
partition is created.
11. Restart your computer and verify the newly created drive is in My Computer.
12. Right click the newly created hard disk drive icon and select "Format".
13. In the Format Screen, select "Full" as the "Format type" and click "Start".
14. After formatting is complete, connect the USB-IDE hard disk drive to the DVR.
Appendix A — USB-IDE Hard Disk Drive Preparation
SISTORE AX9 AX16_EN.doc