– Turn the camshaft gear until the marks (1) are aligned
with the edge of the cylinder head.
– Allow the chain to fall into the chain compartment on
the guide side; insert the end of the chain at approx.
45º (see photo).
– Continue to turn the camshaft gear in a clockwise
direction one complete rotation until the marks are
aligned again. The end of the chain will be just in front
of the rear sprocket on the idler shaft in this position.
– Run the 2nd end of the chain around the rear sprocket
on the idler shaft and check the marks again.
– Mount the chain link (2) to close the chain and
continue turning the chain until the chain joint (3) can
be easily mounted and secured.
CAUTION: when you are finished, align the rear
sprockets with the marks again, making sure
that the cams on the camshaft point down
(towards the cylinder head).
Proceed as follows to lock the timing chain:
– Mount a new chain link.
– Apply the insert (4) of the special tool 800.29.030.000
as shown in the photo and lock the chain link (5) by
tightening the tool spindle.
– Turn the special tool insert and rivet the link.
NOTE: rivet the link so tightly until the ends of
the link have a trapezoidal cross section (see
ASSEMBLING THE ENGINE