DISASSEMBLING THE ENGINE
REMOVING THE CHAIN TENSIONER
– Remove the bolt (1) together with the seal ring and
chain tensioning spring.
– Unscrew the chain tensioner (2).
– Remove both valve covers, discarding the gaskets.
– Loosen the bolts on the cylinder head top section,
carefully tap on the side with a plastic hammer and
remove the cylinder head top section.
SEPARATING THE TIMING CHAIN
– Turn the camshaft until the chain joint (3) is on top and
can be easily opened.
– Remove the chain joint retainer, pull off the chain
shims and remove the chain joint.
– Pull the chain out of the chain tunnel.
NOTE: there are 2 types of chain joint retainers,
each has a different shape.
If the timing chain does not have a chain joint,
800.29.030.000 to open the chain.
– Apply the timing chain separating tool and turn the
spindle to open the timing chain.
NOTE: the timing chain can be separated at any
point. The pressed open chain link must be
replaced and can be replaced by a chain link
with a chain joint.
– Remove the camshaft and cap from the cylinder head.