• Before playing, clean the discs
with a commercially available
cleaning cloth. Wipe each disc
from the centre out. Do not use
solvents such as benzine,
thinner, commercially available
cleaners, or antistatic spray
intended for analogue discs.
Notes on CD-R/CD-RW discs
• Some CD-Rs/CD-RWs (depending on the
equipment used for its recording or the condition
of the disc) may not play on this unit.
• You cannot play a CD-R/a CD-RW that is not
Music discs encoded with copyright
This product is designed to play back discs that
conform to the Compact Disc (CD) standard.
Recently, various music discs encoded with
copyright protection technologies are marketed by
some record companies. Please be aware that among
those discs, there are some that do not conform to
the CD standard and may not be playable by this
Note on DualDiscs
A DualDisc is a two sided disc product which
mates DVD recorded material on one side with
digital audio material on the other side. However,
since the audio material side does not conform to
the Compact Disc (CD) standard, playback on this
product is not guaranteed.
About MP3/WMA files
MP3, which stands for MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3, is a
music file compression format standard. It
compresses audio CD data to approximately 1/10 of
its original size.
WMA, which stands for Windows Media Audio, is
another music file compression format standard. It
compresses audio CD data to approximately 1/22*
of its original size.
* only for 64 kbps
• The unit is compatible with the ISO 9660 level 1/
level 2 format, Joliet/Romeo in the expansion
format, and Multi Session.
• The maximum number of:
– folders (albums): 150 (including root and empty
– MP3/WMA files (tracks) and folders contained
in a disc: 300 (if a folder/file names contain
many characters, this number may become less
– displayable characters for a folder/file name is
25 (Joliet), or 50 (Romeo).
• ID3 tag versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 apply to
MP3 only. Displayable ID3 tag is 30 characters
(1.0 and 1.1), or 50 characters (2.2, 2.3 and 2.4).
Displayable WMA tag is 25 characters.
Playback order of MP3/WMA files
• When naming an MP3 file/WMA file, be sure to add
the file extension ".mp3"/".wma" to the file name.
• During playback of a VBR (variable bit rate) MP3/
WMA file or fast-forward/reverse, elapsed playing
time may not display accurately.
• When the disc is recorded in Multi Session, only the
first track of the first session format is recognized
and played (any other format is skipped). The
priority of the format is CD-DA, ATRAC CD and
– When the first track is a CD-DA, only CD-DA of the
first session is played.
– When the first track is not a CD-DA, an ATRAC CD
or MP3/WMA session is played. If the disc has no
data in any of these formats, "NO Music" is
Notes on MP3
• Be sure to finalize the disc before using on the unit.
• If you play a high-bit-rate MP3, such as 320 kbps,
sound may be intermittent.
Notes on WMA
• Files made with lossless compression are not
Files protected by copyright are not playable.
About ATRAC CD
ATRAC3, which stands for Adaptive Transform
Acoustic Coding3, is audio compression
technology. It compresses audio CD data to
approximately 1/10 of its original size.
ATRAC3plus, which is an extended format of
ATRAC3, compresses the audio CD data to
approximately 1/20 of its original size. The unit
accepts both ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus format.
ATRAC CD is recorded audio CD data which is
compressed to ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus format
using authorized software, such as SonicStage 2.0 or
later, or SonicStage Simple Burner.
• The maximum number of:
– folders (groups): 255
– files (tracks): 999
• The characters for a folder/file name and text
information written by SonicStage are displayed.