This section describes how to load paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder and the Front Tray.
Using the Auto Sheet Feeder and the Front Tray
You can load paper in both the Auto Sheet Feeder and the Front Tray.
Loading paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder is easy, and is convenient if you frequently
switch to and print on various sizes or types of paper.
Use the Front Tray to print on large size paper or to print on thick paper such as art
* There are some kinds of paper, depending on their size or type, that can only be used in either the Auto Sheet Feeder
or the Front Tray.
"Using Specialty Media"
Print Media to Avoid
Do not use the following types of paper. Using such paper will not only produce
unsatisfactory results, but can also cause the printer to jam or malfunction.
• Folded, curled or wrinkled paper
• Damp paper
• Excessively thin paper
Auto Sheet Feeder: Less than 64 gsm / 17 lb
Front Tray: Less than 0.1 mm / 4 mil
• Excessively thick paper
Auto Sheet Feeder: More than 105 gsm / 28 lb (plain paper except for supported
Canon genuine media)
* However, you can use art paper that is not produced by Canon that is up to 200 gsm / 53 lb.
See "Non-Canon Genuine Specialty Paper" in the
Front Tray: More than 1.2 mm / 47 mil
• Picture postcards
• Postcards affixed with photos or stickers
• Any type of paper with holes
• Paper that is not rectangular
• Paper bound with staples or glue etc.
• Paper coated with adhesive
• Paper decorated with glitter etc.
• The following Canon genuine papers:
High Resolution Paper, Glossy Photo Paper, Photo Paper Glossy, Photo Paper Plus
Double Sided, Photo Paper Pro, Transparencies, and T-Shirt Transfers
on page 15.