Cleaning of Video Heads
Digital video camcorders are recording signals in very thin lines (as thin as 1/8 of
a hair). Therefore, following symptoms may appear if video heads become dirty
even a little.
• Mosaic (Fig. 1) or stripes (Fig. 2)
appear on the picture during
• Sound becomes distorted, or there is
no sound during playback.
If such symptoms appear, clean the video heads with the Canon DVM-CL Digital
Video Head Cleaning Cassette' or a commercially available dry cleaning
If the symptoms reappear shortly after the cleaning, the videocassette may be
defective. Stop using the cassette.
Availability differs from area to area.
Video heads may become dirty under the following conditions:
• When using the camcorder in humid or hot places.
• When using cassettes with damaged or dirty tape.
• When using the camcorder in dusty places.
• When using the video heads without cleaning them for a long time.
Before you make important recordings, clean the video heads and make a test
recording first. We also recommend cleaning the video heads after use before
storing the camcorder.