You can set the distance of a subject.
Rotate the focusing ring of the lens to achieve a sharp focus.
• In the case of a subject that can be focused in auto focus mode, the z indicator lights up in the viewfinder
when the focus is confirmed. When the Wide AF area is used, the center area is used, and when the Local
AF area is used, the area that is selected with the multi-selector is used.
• To obtain steady exposure in manual focus mode, the camera uses the distance information to determine
the exposure. To improve the precision of the distance information, the camera resets the focal length to
(infinity) when the POWER switch is set to ON.
• When using a tele converter, etc., rotation of the focusing ring may not be smooth.
Switching the AF/MF easily
The focus mode can be switched not only with the focus mode lever located on the front of the
camera, but also with the AF/MF button located on the rear. You can switch between auto
focus and manual focus without relaxing your position (AF/MF control).
In auto focus mode
By pressing the AF/MF button, the focus mode is switched temporarily to the manual focus.
Press and hold the AF/MF button and adjust the focus by rotating the focusing ring.
In manual focus mode
By pressing the AF/MF button, the focus mode is switched temporarily to the auto focus and
the focus is locked. In the case where the manual focus is used mainly, this is convenient to
activate the auto focus only when you need to use it.
• You can set the AF/MF button to work as the AF lock button with [AF/MF button] in the
• You can maintain the selected mode without pressing and holding the AF/MF button with [AF/MF
control] in the
Custom menu (page 106).