The FlexChoice element is a fully
functioning element that provides
an ultra low (Warm) heat setting
for holding delicate sauces and
keeping cooked foods warm. It is
located in the right rear position
The Warm setting is located
between Low and OFF. Heat
settings outside of this area function
as a normal element, with Low to High
Note: When using the normal settings for preparing foods,
it may take a few minutes for the cooking area to cool to
the Warm heat setting.
Tips to Protect the
(see page 21 for more information)
• Before first use, clean the cooktop.
• Clean your cooktop daily or after each use. This will keep
your cooktop looking good and can prevent damage.
• If a spillover occurs while cooking, immediately clean the
spill from the cooking area while it is hot to prevent a tough
cleaning chore later. Using extreme care, wipe spill with a
clean dry towel.
• Do not allow spills to remain on the cooking area or the
cooktop trim for a long period of time.
• Never use abrasive cleansing powders or scouring pads
which will scratch the cooktop.
• Never use chlorine bleach, ammonia or other cleansers not
specifically recommended for use on glass-ceramic.
To Prevent Marks & Scratches
• Do not use glass pans. They may scratch the surface.
• Never place a trivet or wok ring between the surface and
pan. These items can mark or etch the top.
• Do not slide aluminum pans across a hot surface. The pans
may leave marks which need to be removed promptly. (See
Cleaning, page 21.)
• Make sure the surface and the pan bottom are clean before
turning on to prevent scratches.
• To prevent scratching or damage to the glass-ceramic top,
do not leave sugar, salt or fats on the cooking area. Wipe
the cooktop surface with a clean cloth or paper towel
• Never slide heavy metal pans across the surface since
these may scratch.
To Prevent Stains
• Never use a soiled dish cloth or sponge to clean the
cooktop surface. A film will remain which may cause stains
on the cooking surface after the area is heated.
• Continuously cooking on a soiled surface may/will result in
a permanent stain.
To Prevent Other Damage
• Do not allow plastic, sugar or foods with high sugar content
to melt onto the hot cooktop. Should this happen, clean
immediately. (See Cleaning, page 21.)
• Never let a pan boil dry as this will damage the surface and
• Never use cooktop as a work surface or cutting board.
• Never cook food directly on the surface.
• Do not use a small pan on a large element. Not only does
this waste energy, but it can also result in spillovers burning
onto the cooking area which requires extra cleaning.
• Do not use non-flat specialty items that are oversized or
uneven such as round bottom woks, rippled bottom and/or
oversized canners and griddles.
• Do not use foil or foil-type containers. Foil may melt onto
the glass. If metal melts on the cooktop, do not use. Call an
authorized Maytag Servicer.