Scope This manual has been issued by Canon Inc., to provide the service technicians of this product with the information necessary for qualified persons to learn technical theory, installation, maintenance, and repair of products. The manual covers information applicable in all regions where the product is sold.
I. MANUAL OUTLINE This manual consists of the following three parts to provide information necessary to service the PIXMA MP510: Part 1: Maintenance Information on maintenance and troubleshooting of the PIXMA MP510 Part 2: Technical Reference New technology and technical information such as FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) of the PIXMA MP510...
II. TABLE OF CONTENTS Part 1: MAINTENANCE 1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer 1-2. Customer Maintenance 1-3. Product Life 1-4. Special Tools 1-5. Serial Number Location 2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / INDICATION 2-1.
4. FAQ (Problems Specific to the MP510 and Corrective Actions) Part 3: APPENDIX 1. BLOCK DIAGRAM 2. CONNECTOR LOCATION AND PIN LAYOUT 2-1. Logic Board Ass'y 2-2. Card Slot Board 2-3. Operation Panel Board 2-4. Carriage Board 3. PIXMA MP510 SPECIFICATIONS...
1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer (1) Adjustment Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time EEPROM At logic board replacement To initialize settings. None. 1 min. initialization Perform in the service mode. Destination settings At logic board replacement To set the destination.
426 pages 280 pages 291 pages *1: Declared yield value in accordance with ISO/IEC FCD24711. Values obtained by continuous printing. *2: When printing Canon standard patterns on 4" x 6" Photo Paper Plus Glossy continuously with the default settings of Photo...
Paper Plus Glossy using Windows XP printer driver in borderless printing mode and Windows XP Photo Printing Wizard. Declared yield value determined based on Canon standard method referring to ISO/IEC FCD24712. Note: Ink yield may vary depending on texts/photos printed, applications software used, print mode and type of paper used.
2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / INDICATION Errors and warnings are displayed by the following ways: 1) Operator call errors are indicated by the Alarm LED lit in orange, and the error and its solution are displayed on the LCD in text and by icon.
- Fill in all the circles on the print head alignment sheet. - Place the sheet in the correct orientation and position. The remaining ink amount (Applicable ink tank icon) An ink tank which has once been empty is  installed.
5B11: Borderless-print ink absorber 8 times Print head  The print head temperature exceeded the specified - Print head (QY6-0070) temperature value. - Logic board (QM2-3827) rise error 9 times EEPROM  A problem occurred in writing to the EEPROM. - Logic board (QM2-3827) error 10 times...
- If images are edited on the computer, print them from the computer. The value exceeds the number of copies During selecting images or specifying the A temporary error. After the error message is you can print. number of copies, the total print quantity displayed for a while, the last operation before exceeds the prescribed value of 999.
2-5. Troubleshooting by Symptom Symptom Solution Faulty operation The power does not turn on. - Confirm the connection of The power turns off immediately after - the power cord, and power-on. - between the logic board and the power supply unit. - Replace the - power supply unit, or - logic board.
- print head - Remove foreign material from the purge unit caps, if any. - Replace the - purge unit, or - logic board. Printing is faint, or white lines appear on - Remove and re-install the print head. printouts even after print head cleaning. - Confirm that the ink tanks are installed properly.
- Replace the - scanning unit, - logic board, or - document pressure sheet. *1: Replace the print head only after the print head deep cleaning is performed 2 times, and when the problem persists. To the table of contents To the top <Part 1: 2.
3. REPAIR 3-1. Notes on Service Part Replacement (and Disassembling / Reassembling) Service part Notes on replacement Adjustment / settings Operation check Logic board ass'y - Before removal of the logic After replacement: - EEPROM information print board ass'y, remove the power QM2-3827 1.
QC1-9597 - Do not bend the film. Print head After replacement: - Service test print QY6-0070 1. Perform the print head alignment in the user mode. *1: General notes: - Make sure that the flexible cables and wires in the harness are in the proper position and connected correctly. 3-2.
3-2. Special Notes on Repair Servicing (1) Side cover L2 and front cover L removal i) Remove 1 screw from the front cover L. ii) While pushing the lock pin, slide the front cover L to the right to remove it. iii) Release the hook of the right front of the side cover L2, while pulling the cover downward.
(2) Side cover R2 and front cover R removal i) Release the hook of the side cover R2. ii) Slide the side cover R2 toward the machine front, and remove it. iii) Remove 1 screw from the front cover R. 1-14...
iv) Remove 2 hooks (No. 1 in the photo below). While pressing the lock pin (No. 2 in the photo below), slide the front cover R toward the machine front, and remove it. (3) Main case removal i) Remove the front covers L / R, side covers R1 / R2 / L1 / L2, and scanner unit. ii) Release 2 bosses, and remove the ASF cover unit.
(4) Scanner flexible cable attachment i) On the double-sided adhesive tape in the right back of the top of the main case, attach the flexible cable. The cores should be located as follows: - Place the core (No. 2 in the photo below) so that the rib (No. 1 in the photo below) is between the core edges (between the blue lines in the photo).
(5) Timing sensor unit cable wiring i) Fit the cables in the flexible cable guide, and attach them to the main chassis with filament tape at 2 locations, as shown below (blue circles). ii) Pass the timing sensor unit cables (No. 2 in the photo below) through under the cable between the main board and the ASF_PE sensor board (No.
(6) Flexible cable between the card board ass'y and the logic board ass'y i) Attach the core to the cable. ii) Fix the core with filament tape, as shown in the photo below. (7) Carriage unit flexible cable wiring i) Attach the core to a set of carriage unit cables (3 cables). ii) Fit the cables in the FCC guide so that the core comes to the location indicated by the red arrow in the photo below.
(9) Ink tube installation <About Circle 1 in the photo> Fit the tube between the ribs. <About Circle 2 in the photo> Fit the tube between the ribs, and adjust the tube so that the tube end (indicated by the blue circle in the photo) is between the edges of the right and left ribs (between the red lines in the photo).
(10) Platen link assembly Assemble the platen link so that the paper thickness lever boss is in the platen link hole, as shown in the photo. (11) Emblem removal Push the point indicated by the arrow in the photo to remove from the double-sided adhesive tape. To the table of contents To the top <Part 1: 3.
3-3. Adjustment / Settings (1) Paper feed motor adjustment Perform the following adjustments when the paper feed motor unit is replaced: 1) When attaching the motor, fasten the screws so that the belt is properly stretched (in the direction indicated by the blue arrow in the figure below).
<How to adjust the head-to-paper distance> i) Mark the current position of the left boss and the right hole. (See the step 1 of the carriage rail adjustment above.) ii) Loosen the hexagon-head screws, and adjust the head-to-paper distance. - To prevent the print head from contacting the paper: Raise the carriage rail from the current position. - To improve the print quality: Lower the carriage rail from the current position.
4) While rotating the paper feed roller toward you using your finger, wipe off smears with a cotton swab. If a smear or stain is not removed easily, moisten the swab and clean the roller. 5) When cleaning is completed, remove the paper from the front feeder, and re-set it. 6) Attach the rear cover.
Platen Number of Grease/ oil Grease/ oil Number of locations to Part name Where to apply grease/ oil amount name drops* apply grease/ (mg) 5 Platen (5) Eject roller sliding portion Floil KG107A 4.5 to 9 *1 drop = 9 to 18 mg LF roller Number of Grease/ oil...
(6) Ink absorber replacement 1) At the time of an error indicating that the ink absorber is full, replace either the main or the borderless-print ink absorber according to the error message. - When the main ink absorber is full: Replace the absorber indicated by the blue frame in the photo below (component of QY5-0178).
<The portion replaced in the partial replacement> - Entire main ink absorber: Indicated by the green lines - The portion to be replaced in partial replacement: Indicated by the blue lines (7) Ink absorber counter setting Before replacement of the logic board ass'y, check the ink absorber counter value. After the logic board ass'y is replaced, set the ink absorber counter value to the replaced logic board ass'y.
Alarm LED.) 4) When the Power LED lights in green (and "CANON Idle" is displayed on the LCD), press the Stop/Reset button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the table below, then press the ON/OFF button. (Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
"Destination settings procedures" below. 6 times Green (Power) Print head deep cleaning Cleaning of both Black and Color 7 to 9 times Orange at odd Return to the menu selection numbers (Alarm) Green at even numbers (Power) 10 times Green (Power) Eject roller correction Not used in servicing.
<Ink absorber counter setting procedures> Set the ink absorber counter data to a replaced new EEPROM after the logic board is replaced in servicing. 1) Before replacement of the logic board ass'y, check the ink absorber counter value in EEPROM information print. See 3-4.
<Button and LCD test procedures> Confirm the operation after replacement of the operation panel unit or LCD unit. 1) In the button and LCD test mode, press the Stop/Reset button. The LCD turns blue, waiting for a button to be pressed. 2) Press each button of the operation panel.
3-4. Verification Items (1) Service test print <EEPROM information contents> On the service test print (sample below), confirm the EEPROM information as shown below. (The information is printed in the top and middle areas of the printout.) - Top area: MP510: Model name M = x.xx: ROM version D = xxx.x: Main ink absorber counter value (%)
16. Ink status (BK/Y/M/C) => 0 (High) / 1 (Middle) / 2 (Low) / 3 (Empty) 17. Manual print head alignment by user, automatic print head alignment by user 18. Camera Direct Print-supported device connection record (PB = Canon PictBridge-supported camera, OPB = Other PictBridge- supported camera) 19.
4. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION This section describes the procedures for transporting the machine for returning after repair, etc. 1) In the service mode, press the ON/OFF button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the sheet feed unit is raised.
1. NEW TECHNOLOGIES (1) Paper thickness lever (at the bottom front of the machine) The head-to-paper distance can be adjusted using the paper thickness lever. Smearing on printouts due to the print head contacting the paper, etc. may be solved by setting the paper thickness lever to the right (for thick paper, envelope, and T-shirt transfer), regardless of the paper type.
2. CLEANING MODE AND AMOUNT OF INK PURGED To prevent printing problems due to bubbles, dust, or ink clogging, print head cleaning is performed before the start of printing (when the cleaning flag is on), except in the following cases: - Cleaning on arrival: Performed when the scanning unit (printer cover) is closed.
52 (Color) same time) If the print head has not 0.33 (Black) 81 (All in sequence) been capped before 0.79 (Color) power-on (All in sequence) *1: When 24 to 60 hours have elapsed since the previous Black cleaning, timer cleaning - 0 is performed. However, this cleaning will be conducted up to 5 times from the machine installation, and no further timer cleaning - 0 will be performed.
CLI-8C (small droplet) CLI-8M (small droplet) Print control Bi: Bi-directional Uni: Uni-directional 3-1. Normal Color Printing via Computer MP driver Custom setting Paper type (Canon specialty paper) Item Fast Fine Plain paper Print quality Custom Fast Standard High Resolution HxV (dpi)
Standard Resolution HxV (dpi) 600x600 Print control 8 passes, Bi Ink used C/M/Y/c/m 3-4. Manual Duplex Printing via Computer MP driver Custom setting Paper type (Canon specialty paper) Item Fast Fine Plain paper Print quality Custom Fast Standard High Resolution HxV (dpi)
3-5. Card / Camera Direct Printing Paper type Fast Standard High (Canon specialty paper) Item Plain paper Print quality Standard High Resolution HxV (dpi) 600x600 600x600 Print control 1 pass, Bi 4 passes, Bi Ink used PigBk/C/M/Y PigBk/C/M/Y/c/m Glossy Photo Paper...
4. FAQ (Problems Specific to the MP510 and Corrective Actions) Possible call or No. * Function Phenomenon Condition Cause Corrective action complaint Ink tank installed The ink tank is installed in Open the scanning unit - Ink tank installation A Installation in a wrong a wrong position.
paper feeding, resulting in a paper jam. Smearing on When paper is curled, the 1. Correct the paper curl. - Smear on the printed side edge of paper rises, printed side of 2. Recommend printing causing the print head to paper Print in the print quality...
2. CONNECTOR LOCATION AND PIN LAYOUT 2-1. Logic Board Ass'y J301 (Print Head 1/3 [Carriage Unit]) Input / Signal name Function Output 1 to 4 VH_GND Head drive ground 5 to 9 Head driver power supply +24V 10 to 14 VH_GND Head drive ground J302 (Print Head 2/3 [Carriage Unit])
J303 (Print Head 3/3 [Carriage Unit]) Input / Signal name Function Output AB_PWR Ink tank sensor chip power supply AB_DATA Ink tank sensor data power supply AB_PWR Ink tank sensor chip power supply Ink tank sensor data transfer clock signal AB_CLK THERMO Carriage temperature sensor signal...
J502 (Ink Sensor / Ink Tank Sensor) Input / Signal name Function Output SNS_AB Ink tank sensor signal VSEN_3.3V Ink tank sensor power supply SNS_INK Ink sensor signal Ground INK_PWM Ink tank sensor signal J503 (Power Supply Unit) Input / Signal name Function Output...
J601 (Operation Panel / LCD) Input / Signal name Function Output Ground PANEL_RSTX Panel reset signal Ground PANEL_INT Panel interruption signal +3.3V LCD drive power supply +3.3V LVCLK- LV clock- LVCLK+ LV clock+ Power supply +5V LVDATA- LV data- LVDATA+ LV data+ Ground Reception signal...
J704 (Scanner Motor) Input / Signal name Function Output SC_MAN Scanner motor phase A- SC_MA Scanner motor phase A+ SC_MB Scanner motor phase B+ SC_MBN Scanner motor phase B- J801 (Scanner Unit) Signal name Function Digital ground LED drive signal （Red） LED_R LED drive signal （Green）...
J902 (USB 2.0 I/F) Input / Signal name Function Output SNS_USB USB VBUS power supply sensor USB D- signal USB D+ signal Ground L_GND Logic ground L_GND Logic ground L_GND Logic ground L_GND Logic ground To the table of contents To the top <Part 3: 2.
2-2. Card Slot Board J1 (Logic Board) Signal name Function Input / Output Ground DSC D+ Camera Direct D+ signal IN/OUT DSC D- Camera Direct D- signal IN/OUT VBUS PictBridge VBUS power supply +5.0V Power supply Ir_TXD IrDA reception signal Ir_RXD IrDA reception signal Ground...
SM ground SM_GND SM_D5 SM 16 bit data bus IN/OUT SM_D3 SM 16 bit data bus IN/OUT SM_D6 SM 16 bit data bus IN/OUT SM 16 bit data bus SM_D2 IN/OUT SM_D7 SM 16 bit data bus IN/OUT SM_D1 SM 16 bit data bus IN/OUT SM_LVD SM low voltage detection...
J3 (CompactFlash) Signal name Function Input / Output CF ground CF_D3 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF_D4 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF_D5 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF_D6 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF 16 bit data bus CF_D7 IN/OUT CF_CS0X...
CF reset CF_RESETX CF_IORDY CF ready input - output IN/OUT CF_INPACKX Not used VCC(CF_REGX) CF register select CF_DASPX Not used CF_PDIAGX Not used CF 16 bit data bus CF_D8 IN/OUT CF_D9 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF_D10 CF 16 bit data bus IN/OUT CF logic ground PEG(FGND)
2-3. Operation Panel Board J1 (Logic Board) Signal name Function Input / Output DGND Ground POWER_SW Power switch STOP/RESET_SW Stop/Reset switch LED_POW Power LED display LED_ERR Error LED display PN_RXD Transmission signal PN_TXD Reception signal DGND Ground LVDATA+ LCD data signal+ LVDATA- LCD data signal- Power supply...
2-4. Carriage Board Signal name Function A_GNDH Head ground HD2_C1 Head data C1 HD8_Y1 Head data Y1 Logic ground PBK1 Logic ground B_GNDH Head ground HD3_SC1 Head data SC1 HD5_SM1 Head data SM1 HD4_M1 Head data M1 HENB1 Head heat enable signal 1 HD10_SM2 Head data SM2 Logic ground...
Paper feeding from the ASF Throughput (target value) * Based on Canon standard pattern. Print speed may vary depending on system configuration, interface, software, document complexity, print mode, page coverage, type of paper used and does not take into account data processing time on host computer.
Note: - Document copy speed is based on copying the manuscript "ISO/IEC FCD24712: Newsletter" (digital data printed by offset) using default settings on plain paper. Black text / color (CPM) are based on "fast mode" setting using Canon standard pattern on plain paper. Copy speed 3-15...
Information print Shooting date, file number Approx. 55 seconds (4" x 6" borderless) Note: - When printing a 6 megapixel image taken by certain Canon digital camera from a memory card on default settings using Photo Paper Plus Glossy without Throughput border.
Date / file number print Follows the settings specified in a connected PictBridge device. Approx. 57 seconds (4" x 6" borderless) Note: - When printing a 6 megapixel image taken by certain Canon digital camera from PictBridge on default settings using Photo Paper Plus Glossy without border.
Note: The ink tanks for the Japanese models are not compatible with those for the non-Japanese models. Be sure to use the appropriate ink tanks in servicing. To the table of contents To the top <Part 3: 3. PIXMA MP510 SPECIFICATIONS> 3-18...