PIXMA MP560 SERVICE MANUAL Canon Copyright 2009, Canon U.S.A. This technical publication is the proprietary and confidential information of Canon U.S.A. which shall be retained for reference purposes by Authorized Service Facilities of Canon U.S.A. Its unauthorized use is prohibited.
MP560 TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer 1-2. Customer Maintenance 1-3. Special Tools 1-4. Sensors 1-5. Serial Number Location 2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / TROUBLESHOOTING 2-1. Operator Call Errors 2-2.
4-3. Grease Application 4-4. Special Notes on Servicing (1) Print head problem (2) Paper feed motor adjustment (3) Carriage unit replacement (4) Document pressure sheet (sponge sheet) replacement (5) Ink absorber counter setting 4-5. Verification After Repair (1) Standard inspection flow (2) Service test print (3) Ink absorber counter value print 5.
MP560 TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer (1) Adjustment Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time EEPROM - At logic board To initialize settings 1 min. Service Tool initialization replacement Perform in the service mode.
- At carriage unit replacement LCD language - At logic board To set the language to be None. 1 min. settings replacement displayed on the LCD. Perform in the user mode. Platen glass - At protection sheet To maintain scanning None.
1-2. Customer Maintenance Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time Automatic print - At print head replacement To ensure accurate dot - 1 sheet of 6 min. head alignment - When print quality is not placement. plain paper satisfying (uneven printing, etc.) - Machine buttons - Computer...
1-3. Special Tools Name Tool No. Application Remarks To the carriage rail sliding In common with the MP610, FLOIL KG-107A QY9-0057-000 portions. etc. 1-4. Sensors Sensor Function Possible problems Scanner unit open Detects opening and closing of - The carriage does not move to the center. sensor the scanning unit (cover).
1-5. Serial Number Location On the inner guide over the upper portion of the spur holder (visible when the scanning unit (cover) is opened) When the machine power is OFF. When the machine power is ON. <1. MAINTENANCE> 6 / 64...
MP560 TABLE OF CONTENTS 2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / TROUBLESHOOTING Errors and warnings are displayed by the following ways: 1. Operator call errors are indicated by the Alarm LED lit in orange, and the error messages are displayed by the MP driver Status Monitor. 2.
of paper at error occurrence is skipped (not printed). Ink may have run  U041 The following ink Replace the applicable - Spur unit out. may have run out. ink tank, or press the Replacing the ink Stop button to clear the tank is error without ink tank recommended.
becomes full, no further printing can be performed unless the applicable ink absorber is replaced. The connected  The device may be Remove the cable digital camera or incompatible. between the camera and digital video Remove the device the machine. camera does not and check the support Camera...
No ink (no raw  U163 The following ink Replace the empty ink - Ink tank ink). has run out. Replace tank(s), and close the - Spur unit the ink tank scanning unit (cover). (Applicable ink tank Printing with an empty icon) ink tank can damage the machine.
2-2. Service Call Errors (by Cyclic Blinking of Alarm and Power LEDs) Service call errors are indicated by the number of cycles the Alarm and Power LEDs blink. Cycles of Solution blinking of Error Error Conditions (Check points and Alarm and code replacement items) Power LEDs...
6 times Internal  The internal temperature (1) Cable connection temperature is not normal. (2) Part replacement: error - Spur unit - Logic board - Print head 7 times Ink absorber [5B00, The ink absorber is (1) Ink absorber condition full 5B01] supposed to be full.
14 times APP sensor [6A90] An error occurred during absorber right beneath the error paper feeding or purge drive system unit purging. stays in place and does not contact the unit. (2) Foreign material or paper debris around the ASF unit; remove foreign material.
23 times Valve cam [6C10] The valve cam sensor (1) Foreign material or paper sensor error was faulty at power-on debris around the purge drive or when purging was system unit; attempted. remove foreign material. (2) Cable connection (3) Part replacement: - Purge drive system unit - Logic board Before replacement of the logic board ass'y, check the ink absorber counter value (by...
2-3. Troubleshooting by Symptom Symptom Solution Faulty operation The power does not turn on. (1) Confirm connection of the power supply The power turns off unit: immediately after power-on. - Harness and connector conditions (2) Replace the following item(s): - Logic board - Power supply unit A strange noise occurs.
- Logic board Machine not recognized by (1) Confirm USB cable connection. a USB-connected PC (2) Connect the machine to another PC to see if the machine is recognized. (3) Replace the following item(s): - USB cable - Logic board Unsatisfactory print quality No printing, or no color (1) Confirm the ink tank conditions:...
on printouts in the paper smearing or scratches: feed direction. - Cleaning of the LF slit film.. (2) Replace the following item(s): - LF slit film - LF timing sensor unit - Platen unit - Logic board - Scanner unit (for copying) Faulty scanning No scanning.
MP550/MP558, MP560/MP568 TABLE OF CONTENTS 3. REPAIR 3-1. Major Replacement Parts (and Notes on Disassembling / Reassembling) Recommended removal Est. time Service Adjustment / required procedure / Notes on Operation check part settings (min.) replacement Logic (1) Cassette unit After replacement: - EEPROM board ass'y (2) Operation panel cover /...
(10) Timing slit strap the carriage rail. value, automatic print (11) Carriage rail [See 4-3. Grease head alignment (12) Carriage unit Application, for sensor value, and ink details.] system function.) - Before removal of the 2. Check the ink carriage rail, put a mark of system function.
plate) removal, for details. - See 3-2. Pars Replacement Procedures, (10) Engine unit reassembly, for details. Platen unit (1) to (9) Same as the logic After replacement: - EEPROM board ass'y 1. Perform LF / Eject information print (10) Front door link (2 correction in the - Service test print screws)
- See 3-2. Pars Replacement Procedures, (10) Engine unit reassembly, for details. Carriage (1) to (9) Same as the logic At replacement: - Service test print rail and board ass'y 1. Apply grease to the main (10) Front door link (2 sliding portions.
Timing slit screws) correction in the service disk feed (5) Left cover (2 screws) mode (only when film (6) Document cover / uneven printing or Scanner unit streaks appear on (7) Main case (3 screws) printouts after replacement). - Upon contact with the film, [See 4-2.
*1: To reassemble the unit after replacement, follow the procedures in the reverse order. *2: General notes: - Make sure that the flexible cables and wires in the harness are in the proper position and connected correctly. See 3-2. Part Replacement Procedures or the Parts Catalog for details.
MP560 --- 3. REPAIR TABLE OF CONTENTS 3-2. Part Replacement Procedures Be sure to protect the machine from static electricity in repair servicing, especially for the logic board. Some of the photos are of the MP540 as a sample. (1) External housing removal 1) Remove the cassette.
3) Remove the operation panel cover and the right guide. <Open the scanning unit (cover). At the triangle mark on the inner right side, push the right guide upward, then release all the claws.> 4) Remove the side cover R. <Remove 2 screws from the back side of the machine, then release the claw on the front by pulling the side cover R outward.>...
5) Remove the side cover L. <Remove 2 screws from the back side of the machine, then push the claws downward to release them.> 26 / 64...
<Disengage the scanner stay.> 6) Remove the operation panel unit. <Press the claw on the back of the machine, then pull the operation panel unit upward while being cautious not to damage the claw (A) on the right front of the operation panel unit.> 27 / 64...
<Remove 5 screws.> <Disconnect the FFC cable, then separate the operation panel unit from the machine.> 7) Remove the LCD unit. <Remove 2 screws.> 28 / 64...
<Unlock the LCD FFC, peel off the double-sided adhesive tape at location (B), then remove the LCD unit.> 8) Disassemble the operation panel unit. <Turn the panel unit over so that you see the bottom of the unit. Release the claw (indicated by the red arrow in the photo), and remove the jog wheel.>...
<Remove 4 screws, then the operation panel board.> <Remove a set of buttons.> 30 / 64...
9) Remove the scanner unit. <Disconnect the harnesses (two locations indicated by the red circles) and FFC (one location). Remove one core.> 31 / 64...
10) Remove the main case. <Remove 2 screws.> <Remove 1 screw on the right side (on the purge unit side), release the claw on the left side, then remove the main case.> 32 / 64...
(11) Remove the sub-case and the ASF cover. <Release 2 claws on the back side of the machine.> <Remove the PE sensor FFC.> 33 / 64...
(2) Cable wiring and connection 1) Wiring on the right side (with / without the bottom case) 2) Wiring on the left side (with / without the bottom case) 34 / 64...
(3) Emblem removal Push the emblem bottom to remove from the double-sided adhesive tape. (4) Carriage unlocking 1) Rotate the drive unit gear toward the back of the machine to unlock the carriage. Slide the carriage to the left (the opposite of the home position). 35 / 64...
(5) ASF unit removal 1) Remove 1 screw from the left plate, and 2 screws from the right plate. (6) Right chassis removal 1) [MP560] 2) Remove the right chassis. (3 screws) Remove the wireless LAN board. (1 screw) 36 / 64...
(7) Carriage unit removal 1) On the main chassis, mark the positions of the screws that fix the carriage rail to the main chassis (3 points for each screw: the left, right, and center). 2) Remove the timing slit film. Be cautious to keep it free from any grease or damage. 3) Pass the head of a flat-blade screwdriver through the hole of the main chassis, and press the carriage belt to release it from the pulley.
4) Remove the carriage cable holder from the front chassis. Remove 3 screws that fix the carriage rail to the main chassis, then slowly put down the carriage rail. 5) Remove the carriage unit. Be cautious that the grease will not attach to any parts. 38 / 64...
(8) Spur unit and platen unit removal 1) Remove the ink sensor and the inner cover sensor from the front chassis (1 screw each). 2) From the left and right sides of the spur unit, release the springs (2 on the left side, 1 on the right side).
3) Remove the front chassis. 4) Unlock the paper eject roller gear. While raising the front of the platen unit, remove the platen unit from the printer unit. 40 / 64...
(9) Purge drive system unit (right plate) and switch system unit (left plate) removal 1) Release the springs of the carriage motor cable, duplex printing paper feed roller, cassette feed roller, cassette feed guide, and paper guide unit (both sides). (See the Parts Catalog for details.) 2) Remove 4 springs between the pressure roller unit and the main chassis.
4) Separate the main chassis from the switch system unit and the purge drive system unit. Switch system unit: Purge drive system unit: 42 / 64...
(10) Engine unit reassembly After repair, reassemble each unit of the printer engine on the bottom case in the procedures listed below. Depending on the replaced unit, some steps can be omitted. For specific part names and locations, refer to the Parts Catalog.
(11) Ink absorber replacement If the ink absorber alone needs to be replaced (because the ink absorber becomes full, etc.) and no other engine parts are replaced, the ink absorber can be replaced only by separating the print unit from the bottom case.
3) Release the ground harness ass'y from the bottom case, and slowly lift the print unit to separate it from the bottom case. Be cautious of the PictBridge board. 4) Replace the ink absorber. Confirm that the replaced new ink absorber completely fits in place and is not lifted or dislocated. 5) While being cautious of the ink tube and each harness location, return the print unit to the bottom case, and fasten the screws (removed in step 2).
MP560 TABLE OF CONTENTS 4. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS 4-1. User Mode Function Procedures Remarks Nozzle check Perform via the machine Set a sheet of plain paper (A4 or Letter) in the cassette, or pattern operation panel, or from the the rear tray if selected. printing MP driver Maintenance tab.
4-2. Service Mode (1) Service mode operation procedures Use the Service Tool on the connected computer. 1) Start the machine in the service mode. i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.) ii.
(2) Service Tool functions Service Tool screen: Version 1.05 48 / 64...
Name Function Remarks (1) Test Print Service test print Paper (2 sheets) will feed from the rear tray. Service test print items: - Model name - ROM version - USB serial number - EEPROM information - Process inspection information - Barcode (model name + destination + machine serial number) - Ink system function check result (2) EEPROM...
- Record of ink absorber counter resetting and setting - Record of repair at the production site - LF / Eject correction values - Left margin correction value - Production site E-MIP correction value and enabling of it - Endurance correction value and enabling of it - Record of disabling the function to detect the remaining ink amount - Ink absorber counter value (ink amount in the ink...
- Paper source: Select either Rear tray or Cassette. - Media type: Select one from HR-101, GF-500/Office Planner, HP Bright White, and Canon Extra/STEINBEIS. 2) When printing is finished, "A function was finished" is displayed on the computer, and the machine returns to be ready for selection of another function.
(4) Button and LCD test Confirm the operation after replacement of the panel board or LCD unit. 1) Button check 1-1) Click Panel Check of the Service Tool on the connected computer. All the machine LED's turn on, and the machine LCD turns blue, waiting for a button to be pressed. 1-2) Press each button of the operation panel, to see if every button functions properly.
2) Easy-Scroll Wheel check 2-1) Press the OK button, then rotate the Easy-Scroll Wheel clockwise step by step. The LCD is divided into 6 segments, representing each step. The color of a segment corresponding to the step changes from red to green. If the wheel is rotated counterclockwise before clockwise round completes, the color of segment(s) corresponding to the number of steps the wheel is rotated counterclockwise returns to red.
3) Transparent pattern display check 3-1) Press the OK button. "OK1" in white is displayed on the black background. If the result is not good, "NG1" in black is displayed on the white background (transparent color) immediately after "OK1." Wait for approx. 2 seconds. 3-2) Press the OK button.
MP550/MP558, MP560/MP568 --- 4. ADJUSTMENT / TABLE OF CONTENTS SETTINGS 4-3. Grease Application Where to apply grease / Drawing Grease Part name Grease amount (mg) The surface where the Floil 1 Carriage rail 230 to 290 carriage unit slides KG107A The surface where the Floil 2 Carriage rail...
4-4. Special Notes on Servicing (1) Print head problem (smeared printing, uneven printing, non-ejection of ink, etc.) For problems that are supposed to be caused by the print head (smeared printing, uneven printing, or non- ejection of ink, etc.), print the nozzle check pattern to determine whether the print head is faulty or not. <...
(3) Carriage unit replacement To replace the carriage, the carriage rail must be removed from the main chassis (by removing the screws). Before removing the screws, put a mark on the main chassis to indicate the carriage rail position. After replacing the carriage, return the carriage rail to the original position while aligning the rail to the mark on the chassis.
TABLE OF MP560 --- 4. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS CONTENTS 4-5. Verification After Repair (1) Standard inspection flow In each step below, confirm that printing is performed properly and the machine operates properly without any strange noise. EEPROM information print <Check point> - The information must be printed properly.
Power-off in the service mode <Check point> - The paper lifting plate must be in the raised position. External and internal appearance <Check point> - No grease, oil, or smearing on the timing slit strip film. - No lifting of the platen ink absorber. - No foreign material or dislocation of any part inside the printer.
(2) Service test print <Service test print sample> (MP550) - First page: 61 / 64...
MP560 TABLE OF CONTENTS 5. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION This section describes the procedures for transporting the machine for returning after repair, etc. 1) In the service mode, press the ON button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the rear tray is raised.