When a barcode is scanned, additional information is sent to the host computer
along with the barcode data. This group of barcode data and additional,
user-defined data is called a "message string." The selections in this section
are used to build the user-defined data into the message string.
Prefix and Suffix characters are data characters that can be sent before and
after scanned data. You can specify if they should be sent with all symbologies,
or only with specific symbologies. The following illustration shows the break-
down of a message string:
Points to Keep In Mind
• It is not necessary to build a message string. The selections in this chapter
are only used if you wish to alter the default settings. Default prefix = None.
Default suffix = None .
• A prefix or suffix may be added or cleared from one symbology or all
• You can add any prefix or suffix from the
1252), page A-4, plus Code I.D. and AIM I.D.
• You can string together several entries for several symbologies at one time.
• Enter prefixes and suffixes in the order in which you want them to appear on
• When setting up for specific symbologies, instead of All Symbologies, the
symbology ID value counts as an added prefix or suffix character.
ASCII Conversion Chart (Code Page
4 - 1