Failure to heed the following warnings while servicing the spark arrestor could
result in serious injury or death. Never run the engine in an enclosed area.
Remove any combustible materials from the area. Wear eye protection and
leather work gloves. Do not stand behind or in front of the vehicle while purging.
Never go under the vehicle while it's inclined.
The exhaust system can get extremely hot. Do not perform service on the spark
arrestor while the system is hot. Allow components to cool sufficiently before
Use the following procedure to periodically purge accumulated carbon
from the exhaust pipe/muffler.
1. Remove the arrestor clean-out
plug from the bottom of the
2. Place the transmission in
3. Start the engine.
4. Quickly squeeze and release
the throttle lever several times
to purge carbon from the system.
5. If carbon comes out of the exhaust, cover or plug the exhaust outlet.
Wear protective gloves.
6. Lightly tap on the exhaust pipe with a rubber mallet while repeating
7. If particles are still suspected to be in the muffler, elevate the rear of
the vehicle one foot (30 cm) higher than the front. Block the wheels.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until no more particles are expelled.
9. Stop the engine. Allow the arrestor to cool.
10. Reinstall the arrestor plug and remove the exhaust outlet cover or