What to do next:
• To work with another piece of hardware, go to the appropriate section.
• To install the heat sink and fan assembly, see "Installing the heat sink and fan assembly" on page 75.
Installing the heat sink and fan assembly
Do not open your server or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the Safety Information and the
Warranty and Support Information on the ThinkServer Documentation DVD that came with your product, and
"Guidelines" on page 21. To obtain a copy of the publications, go to:
This section provides instructions on how to install the heat sink and fan assembly.
Hazardous moving parts. Keep fingers and other body parts away.
The heat sink and microprocessor might be very hot. Turn off the server and wait three to
five minutes to let the server cool before removing the server cover.
To install the heat sink and fan assembly, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 23.
3. Lay the server on its side for easier operation.
Installing, removing, or replacing hardware