4. Remove the four screws that secure the hard disk drive and then remove the hard disk drive from
Figure 28. Removing the hot-swap hard disk drive
5. If you are instructed to return the removed hot-swap hard disk drive to the manufacturer, follow all
packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are supplied to you for shipping.
What to do next:
• To work with another piece of hardware, go to the appropriate section.
• To complete the removal procedure, go to "Completing the parts replacement" on page 90.
Installing a hot-swap hard disk drive
Do not open your server or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the Safety Information and the
Warranty and Support Information on the ThinkServer Documentation DVD that came with your product, and
"Guidelines" on page 21. To obtain a copy of the publications, go to:
This section provides instructions on how to install a hot-swap hard disk drive. This section applies only to
server models that support hot-swap hard disk drives.
Attention: To maintain proper system cooling, do not operate the server for more than 10 minutes without
either a drive or a filler panel installed in each drive bay.
To install a hot-swap hard disk drive, do the following:
1. You do not have to turn off the server for the installation of a hot-swap hard disk drive. However, if
you have locked the side door, you must turn off the server, disconnect all power cords, and remove
the server cover when you want to remove, install, or replace any hard disk drives. See "Locking or
unlocking the hard disk drive side door" on page 26 and "Removing the server cover" on page 23.
2. The cables come with the hard disk drive option kit will not be used if you are installing a hot-swap
hard disk drive.
Installing, removing, or replacing hardware