Chapter 5. Installing, removing, or replacing hardware
This chapter provides instructions on how to install, remove, or replace hardware for your server.
This chapter contains the following topics:
"Guidelines" on page 21
"Removing the server cover" on page 23
"Removing and reinstalling the front bezel" on page 25
• "Installing, removing, or replacing optional hardware devices" on page 29
"Installing, removing, or replacing hardware devices" on page 69
"Completing the parts replacement" on page 90
This section provides some guidelines that you should read and understand before using your server.
Before you use the server, be sure to read and understand the following guidelines:
• Be sure to read and understand the Safety Information and the Warranty and Support Information on the
ThinkServer Documentation DVD that comes with your product, and "Guidelines" on page 21. These
information will help you work safely. To obtain a copy of the publications, go to:
• When you install your new server, take the opportunity to download and apply the most recent firmware
updates. This step will help to ensure that any known issues are addressed and that your server is
ready to function at maximum levels of performance. To download firmware updates for your server,
do the following:
1. Go to http://www.lenovo.com/support.
2. Click Download & Drivers ➙ ThinkServer and then follow the instructions on the Web page to
download firmware updates for your server.
• Before you install optional hardware devices, make sure that the server is working correctly. If an
operating system is installed, turn on the server and make sure that the operating system starts. If no
operating system is installed, make sure that a "19990305" error code is displayed, indicating that an
operating system was not found but the server is working correctly. If the server is not working correctly,
refer to the chapter Chapter 7 "Troubleshooting" on page 111 for detailed diagnostic information.
• Observe good housekeeping in the area where you are working. Put removed covers and other parts
in a safe place.
• If you must turn on the server while the server cover is removed, make sure that no one is near the server
and that no tools or other objects have been left inside the server.
• Do not attempt to lift an object that you think is too heavy for you. If you have to lift a heavy object,
observe the following precautions:
– Make sure that you can stand safely without slipping.
– Distribute the weight of the object equally between your feet.
– Use a slow lifting force. Never move suddenly or twist when you lift a heavy object.
– To avoid straining the muscles in your back, lift by standing or by pushing up with your leg muscles.
© Copyright Lenovo 2010, 2011