The machine is not working,
there is no display, or the
buttons are not working.
No dial tone.
The numbers stored in memory
do not dial correctly.
The original does not feed into
Faxes are not received
The machine does not send.
The incoming fax has blank
spaces or is of poor-quality.
• Unplug the power cord and plug it in again.
• Ensure that there is power being supplied to the electrical outlet.
• Ensure that the power is turned on.
• Check that the phone line is properly connected (see "Rear view" on page 17).
• Check that the phone socket on the wall is working by plugging in another phone.
Make sure that the numbers are stored in memory correctly. To check that, print an address book list.
• Make sure that the paper is not wrinkled and you are inserting it in correctly. Check that the original is the right size, not too thick
• Make sure that the document feeder is firmly closed.
• The document feeder rubber pad may need to be replaced. Contact a service representative.
• The receiving mode should be set to fax (see "Changing the receive modes" on page 179).
• Make sure that there is paper in the tray (see "Print media specifications" on page 94).
• Check to see if the display shows any error message. If it does, clear the problem.
• Make sure that the original is loaded in the document feeder or on the scanner glass.
• Check the fax machine you are sending to, to see if it can receive your fax.
• The fax machine sending you the fax may be faulty.
• A noisy phone line can cause line errors.
• Check your machine by making a copy.
• A toner cartridge has almost reached its estimated cartridge life. Replace the toner cartridge (see "Replacing the toner cartridge"
on page 66).