Copies are too light or too dark. Adjust the darkness in copy feature to lighten or darken the backgrounds of copies (see "Changing the settings for each copy" on page
If the defect still appears after
cleaning the machine.
Smears, lines, marks, or spots
appear on copies.
Copy image is skewed.
Blank copies print out.
Image rubs off the copy easily.
Frequent copy paper jams
Toner cartridge produces fewer
copies than expected before
running out of toner.
set the Copy Feature > Adjust Background > Auto. (see "Menu overview" on page 25).
• If the defects are on the original, adjust darkness in copy feature to lighten the background of your copies.
• If there are no defects on the original, clean the scan unit (see "Cleaning the scan unit" on page 72).
• Ensure that the original is aligned with the registration guide.
• The transfer roller may be dirty. Clean the inside of your machine (see "Cleaning the machine" on page 69).
Ensure that the original is face down on the scanner glass or face up in the document feeder.
If these steps do not correct the problem, contact a service representative.
• Replace the paper in the tray with paper from a new package.
• In high humidity areas, do not leave paper in the machine for extended periods of time.
• Fan the paper, then turn it over in the tray. Replace the paper in the tray with a fresh supply. Check/adjust the paper guides, if
• Ensure that the paper is the proper type and weight (see "Print media specifications" on page 94).
• Check for copy paper or pieces of copy paper remaining in the machine after a paper jam has been cleared.
• Your originals may contain pictures, solids, or heavy lines. For example, your originals may be forms, newsletters, books, or other
documents that use more toner.
• The scanner lid may be left open while copies are being made.
• Turn the machine off and back on.