Introduction to the M50
About the M50's modes
The M50 has numerous functions that let you play and
edit programs or combinations, record and play back
sequence data, and manage media. These functions are
grouped into "modes." The M50 has ﬁve modes.
Programs are the basic sounds of M50.
In Program mode, you can:
• Select and play Programs
• Use one arpeggiator in your performance.
• Play back Drum Track patterns while you perform
using a Program.
• Edit Programs
You can use the control surface and the Tone
Adjust function to easily edit the program.
You can adjust the parameters and settings of the
oscillators, filters, amps, EGs, LFOs, effects,
arpeggiator, drum track, etc.
You can use up to five insert effects, two master
effects, and one total effect.
The oscillators can use any of the 1,077
multisamples (including seven stereo)
• Plus, you can create drum programs using drum
kits (as created in Global mode)
Combinations are sets of up to 16 programs that can be
played simultaneously, letting you create sounds more
complex than a single Program. In Combination mode,
• Select and play Combinations
• Use two arpeggiators in your performance.
• Use one or more timbres to play back the patterns
in the drum track.
• Use the M50 as a 16-track multitimbral tone
• Edit Combinations
You can assign Programs to each of the 16 Timbres,
each with separate volume, pan, EQ, and keyboard
and velocity zones; make settings for effects,
arpeggiator, drum track.
• Plus, you can use up to five insert effects, two
master effects, and one total effect.
Sequencer mode lets you record, playback, and edit
MIDI tracks. You can:
• Use the sixteen-track MIDI sequencer to record and
play back songs.
• Record a single MIDI track at a time, or record as
many as all sixteen tracks simultaneously. You can
also record exclusive messages.
• Record using two arpeggiators.
• Use one or more tracks to play back the patterns in
the drum track.
• Use up to 128 songs, with 671 preset patterns and
100 user patterns for each song.
• Use the M50 as a 16-track multi-timbral sound
• Use the Tone Adjust function to easily edit the
program of each track.
• Use up to five insert effects, two master effects, and
one total effect.
• Record patterns and assign them to individual
keys, using RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/
• Create user Drum Track patterns.
Global mode lets you make overall settings for the
entire M50, and edit drum kits, arpeggio patterns. In
Global mode, you can:
• Make settings that affect the entire M50, such as
master tune and global MIDI channel
• Create user drum kits, and user scales
• Create drum kits using drumsamples
• Create user arpeggio patterns
• Rename program, and combination categories
• Set the function of the assignable pedals and
• Transmit MIDI System Exclusive data dumps
You can save or load data using an SD card. In Media
mode, you can:
• Save and load Programs, Combinations, Songs, and
Global setup data
• Format SD card, copy and rename files, etc.
• Export and import sequences to and from SMF
(Standard MIDI Files)
• Use the Data Filer function to save or load MIDI
System Exclusive data