Reinstallation of the Software
Installing the Windows Operating System
Dependent on the device model, different operating system CDs are shipped:
Microsoft Windows NT or Recovery Microsoft Windows NT,
Recovery Microsoft Windows Me,
Recovery Microsoft Windows 2000,
Recovery Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
Installing the Recovery CD for Microsoft Windows NT
This CD contains encoded data which can only be transferred to a SIEMENS
Data transfer is carried out with the OEMSETUP.EXE program on the CD ROM or,
after booting, from the CD-ROM with the recovery function.
After transferring the required data to the hard disk, the operating system can be
installed using the Windows NT setup program.
Windows NT Installation Sequence
If a Windows operating system is already installed or if the PC has been started
with a user created bootdisk, data transfer takes place using the OEMSETUP.EXE
program. To do this, start the OEMSETUP.EXE program in the root directory of the
Recovery CD and continue the sequence as of point 5.
If there is no operating system installed, proceed as follows:
1. Insert the Recovery CD in the CD ROM drive and reboot the system.
2. To boot from the CD proceed as follows: When the message
Press <F2> to enter Setup
appears on the screen press the ESC key. After intialization a boot menu to select
the boot options is displayed.
3. Select "ATAPI CD ROM Drive".
4. When "Microsoft Windows 98-Startup Menu" is displayed, select
"1. Boot for CD-Recovery".
If the hard disk has not been installed, first select "2. Boot for FDISK, FORMAT
or Windows Setup" (Section 8.1).
5. You have to acknowledge the "SIEMENS End User License Agreement" with
the F8 function key. Pressing ESC allows you to decline the agreement and
cancels the installation.
6. In the next screen you can select the components which are to be copied from
the CD to the hard disk. Transfer of at least the folder "I386" is necessary for
the Windows NT installation or setup.
7. Select the drive for data transfer. The selected drive is not the installation drive
for Windows. For the Windows setup, you need an available disk space of
approximately 300 MB on the installation drive for Windows.
SIMATIC Box PC 840 Manual