Setup Utility (BIOS)
Downloading a BIOS update
CAUTION: To prevent damage to the computer or an unsuccessful installation, download and install a BIOS update only when
the computer is connected to reliable external power using the AC adapter. Do not download or install a BIOS update while the
computer is running on battery power, docked in an optional docking device, or connected to an optional power source. During
the download and installation, follow these instructions:
Do not disconnect power from the computer by unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet.
Do not shut down the computer or initiate Sleep or Hibernation.
Do not insert, remove, connect, or disconnect any device, cable, or cord.
To download a BIOS update:
1. Access the page on the HP Web site that provides software for your computer:
Select Start > Help and Support > Maintain.
2. Follow the instructions on the screen to identify your computer and access the BIOS update you want
3. At the download area, follow these steps:
a. Identify the BIOS update that is later than the BIOS version currently installed on your computer. Make a
note of the date, name, or other identifier. You may need this information to locate the update later, after it
has been downloaded to your hard drive.
b. Follow the instructions on the screen to download your selection to the hard drive.
Make a note of the path to the location on your hard drive where the BIOS update will be downloaded.
You will need to access this path when you are ready to install the update.
If you connect your computer to a network, consult the network administrator before installing any
software updates, especially system BIOS updates.
BIOS installation procedures vary. Follow any instructions that are displayed on the screen after the download is
complete. If no instructions are displayed, follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Explorer by selecting Start > Computer.
2. Double-click your hard drive designation. The hard drive designation is typically Local Disk (C:).
3. Using the hard drive path you recorded earlier, open the folder on your hard drive that contains the update.
4. Double-click the file that has an .exe extension (for example, filename.exe).
The BIOS installation begins.
5. Complete the installation by following the instructions on the screen.
After a message on the screen reports a successful installation, you can delete the downloaded file from your
Maintenance and Service Guide