Removal and replacement procedures
The processor spare part kit includes replacement thermal material.
Intel Core i7-820QM 1.73-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 3.06-GHz)
Intel Core i7-720QM 1.60-GHz processor (SC turbo up to 2.80-GHz)
Before removing the processor, follow these steps:
1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on,
and then shut it down through the operating system.
2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then
unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
4. Remove the battery (see
5. Remove the following components:
a. Memory module compartment cover (see
b. Top cover (see
c. Processor fan/heat sink assembly (see
Remove the processor:
1. Turn the processor locking screw 1 one-half turn counterclockwise, until you hear a click.
2. Lift the processor 2 straight up and remove it.
The gold triangle 3 on the processor must be aligned with the triangle icon 4 embossed on the
processor socket when you install the processor.
Reverse this procedure to install the processor.
"Battery" on page
"Top cover" on page
"Processor fan/heat sink assembly" on page
"Expansion memory module" on page
Spare part number
Maintenance and Service Guide