1. Set the thermostat to the lowest setting.
The integrated control will close the gas valve and
extinguish flame. Following a 15 second delay, the
induced draft blower will be de-energized. The indoor
blower will shut down when the time delay expires
(selectable on 96% models).
2. Remove the burner compartment door and move the
furnace gas valve manual control to the OFF position.
3. Close the manual gas shutoff valve external to the
4. Replace the burner compartment door.
Gas Supply Pressure Measurement
Gas Pressure Test
The line pressure supplied to the gas valve must be within
the range specified below. The supply pressure can be mea-
sured at the gas valve inlet pressure tap or at a hose fitting
installed in the gas piping drip leg. The supply pressure
must be measured with the burners operating. To measure
the gas supply pressure, use the following procedure.
1. Turn OFF gas to furnace at the manual gas shutoff
valve external to the furnace.
2. Connect a calibrated water manometer (or appropriate
gas pressure gauge) at either the gas valve inlet
pressure tap or the gas piping drip leg. See White-
Rodgers 36J22 gas valve figure for location of inlet
Gas Valve ON/OFF Selector Switch
White-Rodgers Model 36J22
White-Rodgers Model 36J22
Connected to Manometer
NOTE: If measuring gas pressure at the drip leg, a field-
supplied hose barb fitting must be installed prior to making
the hose connection. If using the inlet pressure tap on the
White-Rodgers 36J22 gas valve, then use the 36G/J Valve
Pressure Check Kit, Part No. 0151K00000S.
3. Turn ON the gas supply and operate the furnace and all
other gas consuming appliances on the same gas supply
4. Measure furnace gas supply pressure with burners firing.
Supply pressure must be within the range specified in the
Inlet Gas Supply Pressure table.
If supply pressure differs from table, make the necessary ad-
justments to pressure regulator, gas piping size, etc., and/or
consult with local gas utility.
5. Turn OFF gas to furnace at the manual shutoff valve and
disconnect manometer. Reinstall plug before turning on
gas to furnace.
6. Turn OFF any unnecessary gas appliances stated in step 3.
Gas Manifold Pressure Measurement and Adjust-
Only small variations in gas pressure should be made by adjusting
the gas valve pressure regulator. The manifold pressure must be
measured with the burners operating. To measure and adjust
the manifold pressure, use the following procedure.
1. Turn OFF gas to furnace at the manual gas shutoff valve
external to the furnace.
2. Turn off all electrical power to the system.
3. Outlet pressure tap connections:
White-Rodgers 36J22 valve: Back outlet pressure
test screw (inlet/outlet pressure tap) out one turn
(counterclockwise, not more than one turn).
4. Attach a hose and manometer to the outlet pressure tap
5. Turn ON the gas supply.
Manifold Gas Pressure
3.2 - 3.8" w.c.
9.7 - 10.3" w.c.
Measuring Inlet Gas Pressure (Alt. Method)