Possible Upright Counterflow
Filters must be installed in either the central return register or
in the return air duct work.
Startup Procedure & Adjustment
Furnace must have a 115 VAC power supply properly connected
and grounded. Proper polarity must be maintained for correct
operation. In addition to the following start-up and adjustment
items, refer to further information in Operational Checks
Check that all furnace cabinet sealing components are in
place (plugs, grommets, gaskets). NOTE; If the furnace
bottom panel has not been removed for a return duct
connection, all perforations must be sealed with duct
sealant compound or other suitable method to prevent air
leakage. For optimal performance verify that all do gaskets
are properly in place and replace as needed to prevent air
Drain Trap Priming
The drain trap MUST be primed prior to furnace startup. To
prime, fill both sides of the drain trap with water. This en-
sures proper furnace drainage upon startup and prohibits the
possibility of flue gases escaping through the drain system.
Purge gas lines of air prior to startup. Be sure not purge lines into
an enclosed burner compartment. Follow NFPA 54, National
Fuel Gas Code 8.1 for proper purging methods. In Canada,
follow approved purging methods in B149.1-15.
Check for leaks using an approved chloride-free soap and
water solution, an electronic combustible gas detector,
or other approved method. Verify that all required kits
(propane gas, high altitude, etc.) have been appropriately
1. Close the manual gas shutoff valve external to the
2. Turn off the electrical power to the furnace.
3. Set the room thermostat to the lowest possible setting.
4. Remove the burner compartment door.
NOTE: This furnace is equipped with an ignition device
which automatically lights the burner. Do not try to light
the burner by hand.
O PREVENT UNRELIABLE OPERATION OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE
INLET GAS SUPPLY PRESSURE MUST BE AS SPECIFIED ON THE UNIT
RATING PLATE WITH ALL OTHER HOUSEHOLD GAS FIRED APPLIANCES
5. Move the furnace gas valve manual control to the OFF
6. Wait five minutes then smell for gas. Be sure check
near the floor as some types of gas are heavier than
7. If you smell gas after five minutes, immediately follow
the safety instructions in the Safety Considerations on
page 3 of this manual. If you do not smell gas after
five minutes, move the furnace gas valve manual
control to the ON position.
8. Replace the burner compartment door.
9. Open the manual gas shutoff valve external to the
10. Turn on the electrical power to the furnace.
11. Adjust the thermostat to a setting above room
12. After the burners are lit, set the thermostat to desired