Special Instructions for Products Installed in the State of Massachusetts
For all side wall horizontally vented gas fueled equipment installed in every dwelling, building or structure used in whole or in part for residential
purposes, including those owned or operated by the Commonwealth
and where the side wall exhaust vent termination is less than seven
(7) feet above finished grade in the area of the venting, including but
not limited to decks and porches, the following requirements shall
1. INSTALLATION OF CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS. At the time
of installation of the side wall horizontal vented gas fueled
equipment, the installing plumber or gasfitter shall observe that
a hard wired carbon monoxide detector with an alarm and battery
back-up is installed on the floor level where the gas equipment is
to be installed. In addition, the installing plumber or gasfitter shall
observe that a battery operated or hard wired carbon monoxide
detector with an alarm is installed on each additional level of the
dwelling, building or structure served by the side wall horizontal
vented gas fueled equipment. It shall be the responsibility of
the property owner to secure the services of qualified licensed
professionals for the installation of hard wired carbon monoxide
a. In the event that the side wall horizontally vented gas fueled
equipment is installed in a crawl space or an attic, the hard wired carbon monoxide detector with alarm and battery back-up may
be installed on the next adjacent floor level.
b. In the event that the requirements of this subdivision can not be met at the time of completion of installation, the owner shall have
a period of thirty (30) days to comply with the above requirements; provided, however, that during said thirty (30) day period, a
battery operated carbon monoxide detector with an alarm shall be installed.
2. APPROVED CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS. Each carbon monoxide detector as required in accordance with the above provisions shall
comply with NFPA 720 and be ANSI/UL 2034 listed and IAS certified.
3. SIGNAGE. A metal or plastic identification plate shall be permanently mounted to the exterior of the building at a minimum height of
eight (8) feet above grade directly in line with the exhaust vent terminal for the horizontally vented gas fueled heating appliance or
equipment. The sign shall read, in print size no less than one-half (1/2) inch in size, "GAS VENT DIRECTLY BELOW. KEEP CLEAR OF
4. INSPECTION. The state or local gas inspector of the side wall horizontally vented gas fueled equipment shall not approve the installation
unless, upon inspection, the inspector observes carbon monoxide detectors and signage installed in accordance with the provisions of
248 CMR 5.08(2)(a)1 through 4.
The following equipment is exempt from 248 CMR 5.08(2)(a)1 through 4:
1. The equipment listed in Chapter 10 entitled "Equipment Not Required To Be Vented" in the most current edition of NFPA 54 as adopted
by the Board; and
2. Product Approved side wall horizontally vented gas fueled equipment installed in a room or structure separate from the dwelling,
building or structure used in whole or in part for residential purposes.
(c) MANUFACTURER REQUIREMENTS - GAS EQUIPMENT VENTING SYSTEM PROVIDED. When the manufacturer of Product Approved side
wall horizontally vented gas equipment provides a venting system design or venting system components with the equipment, the
instructions provided by the manufacturer for installation of the equipment and the venting system shall include:
3. Detailed instructions for the installation of the venting system design or the venting system components; and
4. A complete parts list for the venting system design or venting system.
(d) MANUFACTURER REQUIREMENTS - GAS EQUIPMENT VENTING SYSTEM NOT PROVIDED. When the manufacturer of a Product Approved
side wall horizontally vented gas fueled equipment does not provide the parts for venting the flue gases, but identifies "special
venting systems", the following requirements shall be satisfied by the manufacturer:
5. The referenced "special venting system" instructions shall be included with the appliance or equipment installation instructions; and
6. The "special venting systems" shall be Product Approved by the Board, and the instructions for that system shall include a parts list
and detailed installation instructions.
(e) A copy of all installation instructions for all Product Approved side wall horizontally vented gas fueled equipment, all venting
instructions, all parts lists for venting instructions, and/or all venting design instructions shall remain with the appliance or equipment
at the completion of the installation.
NOTE: SPECIFICATIONS AND PERFORMANCE DATA LISTED HEREIN ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
Brand is a registered trademark of Maytag Corporation or its related companies and is used under license. All rights reserved.
5151 San Felipe Suite 500
Houston, TX 77056
www.goodmanmfg.com • www.amana-hac.com
© 2014-2019 Goodman Manufacturing Company, L.P.
INTAKE AND GRADE
VENT AND GRADE