I V . B A T T E R I E S A N D C H A R G I N G
Why do my new batteries seem weak?
Deep-cycle batteries employ a different chemical technology than that used in car batteries, nickel-cad-
mium batteries (nicads), and other common battery types. Deep-cycle batteries are specifically designed
to provide power, drain down their charge, and then accept a relatively quick recharge (8 to 14 hours).
We work closely with our battery manufacturer to provide batteries that best suit your Travel Scooter's
specific electrical demands. Fresh batteries are shipped fully charged to our customers. During shipping,
the batteries may encounter temperature extremes that can influence their initial performance. Heat dimin-
ishes the charge on the battery; cold slows the available power and extends the time needed to recharge
It may take a few days for the temperature of your Travel Scooter's batteries to stabilise and adjust to their
new room or ambient temperature. More importantly, it takes a few charging cycles (partial draining fol-
lowed by full recharging) to establish the critical chemical balance that is essential to a deep-cycle bat-
tery's peak performance and long life.
Follow these steps to properly break in your Travel Scooter's new batteries for maximum efficiency
and service life :
1. Fully recharge any new battery prior to its initial use. This charging cycle brings the battery up to about
88% of its peak performance level.
2. Operate your new Travel Scooter in familiar and safe areas. Drive slowly at first, and do not travel too
far from your home or familiar surroundings until you have become accustomed to your Travel
Scooter's controls and have properly broken in your Travel Scooter's batteries.
3. Fully recharge the batteries. They should be at over 90% of their peak performance level.
4. Operate your Travel Scooter again.
5. Fully recharge the batteries again.
6. After four or five charging cycles, the batteries are able to receive a charge of 100% of their peak
performance level and are able to last for an extended period of time.
What about public transport?
If you intend to use public transportation with your Travel Scooter, you must contact the transportation
provider in advance to determine their specific requirements.
Elite Traveller Plus