can specify the location at which playback will start, and then
playback in synchronization. If you use the dial or Select keys
to fast-forward or rewind while the song is playing, Song Posi-
tion Pointer messages will not be transmitted. Be aware that if
you perform these operations during synchronized playback,
the synchronization will be lost. Also, even if Song Position
Pointer messages are received during playback, the playback
location will not change.
8. About system exclusive messages
Manufacturers are free to use system exclusive messages in any
way they choose, and these messages are used mainly to trans-
mit and receive parameters that are specific to particular de-
vices, such as sound data and editing data.
The system exclusive message format of the ER-1
3n, 51, ... F7] (n: exclusive channel).
However, some system exclusive messages have been defined
for use in a specific way, and these are called "universal system
Of the several different universal system exclusive messages,
II supports the following one.
- When an Inquiry Message Request [F0, 7E, nn, 06, 01, F7] is
received, the ER-1
II will transmit an Inquiry Message [F0,
7E, nn, 06, 02, (nine bytes), F7] that means "I am a Korg ER-
II and my system version is ..."
9. Transmitting sound setting
data (Data Dump)
Song, Pattern, or All (song, pattern, global) data can be trans-
mitted as MIDI exclusive data, and stored on an external de-
vice. This data is transmitted by the MIDI mode Dump com-
mand. The channel used for transmission and reception of this
data is set by the MIDI mode MIDI ch setting. Data dumps are
also transmitted when a Data Dump Request message is re-
10. Editing sounds etc.
By sending MIDI exclusive data dumps, you can rewrite all
patterns or individual programs. By using NRPN messages in
Pattern mode, you can edit the knobs that are active for each
The display does not light up when I press the
• Is the AC adapter connected?
• Is the AC adapter plugged into an AC outlet?
• Is your amp, mixer, or headphones connected to the correct
jack? (Can you playback a pattern? If so, the connections are
• Are your amp or mixer powered-on and set correctly?
• Is the master volume knob of the ER-1
Sound does not stop!
II is [F0, 42,
• When a pattern is played back, it will continue playing re-
peatedly. When you are finished listening to a pattern, press
the Stop/Cancel key (p.12, 13).
Sounds or operations are different than when I
• Did you perform the Write operation after editing? (p.32, 37)
After you have edited, you must perform the Write opera-
tion before switching songs or patterns, or turning off the
• Did you edit the selected pattern or song after writing it?
Can't control via MIDI!
• Is the MIDI cable or special cable connected correctly?
When playing the ER-1mkII from an external de-
• Has the ER-1
nel on which the data is being transmitted? (p.40)
• Is the MIDI mode MIDI Channel parameter set to the desired
• Are the MIDI mode MIDI Filter settings set appropriately?
When playing an external device from the ER-
• Does the MIDI channel of the ER-1
nel of the receiving device? (p.40)
Can't write a pattern or song!
• Is the Global mode Protect setting turned "on"? (p.39)
Striking a part key does not play the specified
• After editing the sound of a part, did you perform the Write
• Is the CROSS MOD key on? (p.25)
• Is the RING MOD key on? (p.25)
• Is a motion sequence operating? (p.28)
II been set to receive MIDI data on the chan-
II match the MIDI chan-