Instructional icons using this Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual: manual Warning—situations that could cause injury to yourself or others Caution—situations that could cause This user manual has been specially damage to your device or other equipment designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile device.
• Google, Android Market, Google Talk, Google → Mail, and Google Maps are trademarks of Followed by—the order of options or Google, Inc. menus you must select to perform a step; for example: Select Messaging → New • YouTube is a trademark of YouTube, LLC. ®...
ABOUT DIVX VIDEO ® DivX is a digital video format created by DivX, Inc. This is an official DivX Certified device that plays DivX video. Visit www.divx.com for more information and software tools to convert your files into DivX video. ABOUT DIVX VIDEO-ON-DEMAND ®...
safety and usage information ....2 Safety warnings .......... 2 contents Safety precautions ........5 Important usage information ....... 7 introducing your device ......13 Unpack ............. 13 Device layout ..........14 Keys ............15 Icons ............16 getting started with your device .... 18 Assemble and prepare your mobile device ............
Enter text ..........29 YouTube™ ..........51 Download applications from Java ME applications ........ 52 Android Market ......... 30 personal productivity ......54 Download files from the web ..... 31 Contacts ........... 54 Synchronise data ........32 Calendar ........... 56 communication ........
Safety warnings safety and Keep your device away from small usage children and pets Keep your device and all accessories out of the reach of small children or animals. Small parts may information cause choking or serious injury if swallowed. Protect your hearing Comply with the following precautions to avoid Excessive exposure to sound at high...
Maintain a minimum of 15 cm (6 inches) between chargers with care mobile devices and pacemakers to avoid potential • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and interference, as recommended by manufacturers chargers specifically designed for your device. and the independent research group, Wireless Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause Technology Research.
Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your stations) or near fuels or chemicals. Turn off your hand and face. Bring the device to a Samsung device whenever directed by warning signs or service centre to replace the screen. Damage instructions.
Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a wireless functions when directed by airline mobile device in a certain area. personnel. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your device or cause injury.
Protect batteries and chargers from • Do not allow your device to get wet—liquids can cause serious damage and will change the colour damage of the label that indicates water damage inside the • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot device.
Avoid interference with other electronic Important usage information devices Your device emits radio frequency (RF) signals that Use your device in the normal position may interfere with unshielded or improperly shielded Avoid contact with your device’s internal antenna. electronic equipment, such as pacemakers, hearing aids, medical devices, and other electronic devices Allow only qualified personnel to service in homes or vehicles.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when Ensure access to emergency services not in use. Emergency calls from your device may not be • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. possible in some areas or circumstances. Before travelling in remote or undeveloped areas, plan an Handle SIM cards and memory cards alternate method of contacting emergency services with care...
Equipment (R&TTE) directive. For more information health from uncontrolled waste disposal, please about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the separate these items from other types of waste and Samsung mobile device website. recycle them responsibly to promote the sustainable reuse of material resources.
Household users should contact either the retailer Correct disposal of batteries in this where they purchased this product, or their local product government office, for details of where and how they (Applicable in the European Union and can take these items for environmentally safe other European countries with separate recycling.
Some content and services accessible through this WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS device belong to third parties and are protected by FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SAMSUNG DOES copyright, patent, trademark and/or other intellectual NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, VALIDITY, property laws. Such content and services are...
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
In this section, learn about your mobile device’s depending on the software and accessories layout, keys, and icons. available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can obtain additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer. • The supplied accessories perform best for your device.
Device layout The rear of your device includes the following keys and features: The front of your device includes the following keys Multifunction and features: Headset jack jack Earpiece Microphone Camera lens for recording videos Hold key Touch screen Battery cover Volume key 4-way navigation key...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle Function Dial mode, retrieve recently dialled, Open a list of options available on missed, or received numbers Menu the current screen Turn on the device (press and Scroll through applications or Power hold);...
Icons Icon Definition Missed call Learn about the icons that appear on your screen. Call diverting activated Icon Definition Signal strength Connected to PC GPRS network connected Bluetooth activated EDGE network connected Bluetooth device connected UMTS network connected Synchronised with the web HSDPA network connected Wi-Fi activated Roaming (outside of normal service area)
Icon Definition Silent mode activated Music playback in progress Wireless functions disabled Battery power level Alarm activated Current time...
Assemble and prepare your mobile getting started device Get started by assembling and setting up your mobile device for its first use. with your device Install the SIM or USIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will Learn about basics to start using your device.
To install the SIM or USIM card and battery, 2. Insert the SIM or USIM card. 1. Remove the battery cover. • Place the SIM or USIM card in the device with If the device is on, turn it off. p.
3. Insert the battery. Charge the battery Before using the device for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack on the top of the device. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
3. Plug the large end of the travel adapter into a Insert a memory card (optional) power outlet. To store additional multimedia files, you must insert a 4. When the battery is fully charged (the icon is memory card. Your device accepts microSD™ or no longer moving), unplug the travel adapter from microSDHC™...
3. Push the memory card in the memory card slot Attach a hand strap (optional) until it locks in place. 1. Remove a battery cover. 4. Replace the battery cover. 2. Slide a hand strap through the slot and hook it Removing a memory card over the small projection.
Turn your device on and off You can set an unlock pattern to prevent unauthorised people from unlocking and using To turn your device on, press and hold [ ]. Your your device. p. 28 device will automatically connect to the cellular network.
Use the touch screen • For the optimal use of the touch screen, remove the screen protection film before Your device’s touch screen lets you easily select using your device. items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to • Your touch screen has a layer that detects use the touch screen.
• Drag your finger up or down to scroll through Get to know the Home screen vertical lists. When your device turns on, the Home screen appears. From this screen, you can access various features and status information. Status bar •...
3. When the item and the trash tab turn red, release applications, bookmarks, and contacts. the item. • Android widgets or Samsung widgets: Add widgets, such as the analogue clock, calendar, and mini player. • Folders: Create a new folder or add folders for your contacts.
View network information and • When you use applications provided by Google, you must have a Google account. If notifications you do not have a Google account, sign up for Drag the status bar down from the top of the screen a Google account by selecting Create on the to access the network information and the first setup screen.
Customise your device Change your ringtone 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Get more from your device by customising it to and select Settings → Sound & display → match your preferences. Phone ringtone. Turn on or off the touch tone 2.
2. See the on-screen instructions and example Enter text using the Android keyboard patterns and select Next (if necessary). When you touch the text input field, the Android 3. Draw a pattern by dragging your finger to keyboard appears at the bottom of the screen. Enter connect at least 4 dots.
• To hide the Android keyboard, press [ 4. Touch and hold the highlighted text. • Touch and hold and select 5. Select Copy to copy the text into the clipboard. Android keyboard settings to change the 6. In another application, touch and hold the text keyboard settings.
Install applications Download files from the web 1. From the Home screen, open the application list When you download files or web applications from and select Market. the web, your device saves them in a memory card. For checking supported file formats, see “Supported 2.
Download files from the web Synchronise data 1. From the Home screen, open the application list You can synchronise data (Google messages, and select Browser. calendar, and contacts) with the Google server and back up or restore your data. 2. Search for a file or application and download it. To install applications downloaded from websites Once the synchronisation is completed, your device other than Android Market, you must select Settings...
5. Specify the server settings and select Next. Synchronise data manually 6. Customise the account options and select Next. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Accounts & sync. 7. Enter an account name and a user name and select Done.
Calls communication Learn to make or answer calls and use call functions. When you put your device close to your ear during a call, your device automatically locks Learn basics to make and answer calls, and to send the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs. and receive many types of messages over cellular networks and the internet.
Answer a call View and dial missed calls 1. When a call comes in, press [ Your device will display calls you have missed on the display. To dial the number of a missed call, If the supplied headset is connected to your device, you can press the headset button.
3. Touch and hold 0 to insert the + character. Dial a second call 4. Enter the complete number you want to dial If your network supports this function, you can dial (country code, area code, and phone number), another number during a call: and then press [ ] to dial.
Make a multiparty call (conference call) Text and multimedia messages 1. Call the first party you want to add to the Use the messaging functions. For instructions on multiparty call. entering text, see "Enter text." p. 29 2. While connected to the first party, call the Send a text message second party.
Send a multimedia message View text or multimedia messages 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Messaging → New message. and select Messaging. 2. Enter a recipient’s phone number or email 2.
View email messages Add a star to a message 1. From the Inbox screen, touch and hold a 1. From the Home screen, open the application list message. and select Google Mail. 2. Select Add star. The star icon next to the 2.
] → Attach → 5. To attach an image file, press [ 3. Select an account type (POP3 or IMAP). a file. 4. Follow the on-screen instructions. 6. Select Send to send the message. View email messages Email messages When you open an email account, you can view previously retrieved emails offline or connect to the Learn to send or view email messages via your email server to view new messages.
Send an email message Delete an email account 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Email → an email account. and select Email. ] → Compose. ] → Accounts. 2.
2. Select a friend from the Friends list. The chat screen opens. 3. Enter your message and select Send. ] → More → To insert emoticons, press [ Insert smiley. ] → 4. To switch between active chats, press [ Switch chats.
Supported file formats media Your device supports the following file formats: File type Extension Audio .amr, .mp3, .mid, .ogg, .wav, .imy, .ota, .rtttl Learn to use the media applications on your device: Video .3gp, .mp4, .avi Music, Videos, Camera, Gallery, and YouTube. Image .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png File type...
Music Play music files 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Learn how to listen to music via the music player. and select Music Player. 2. Select a category → a music file. Add music files to your device Start by adding files to your device or memory card: 3.
Videos Icon/Key Function Progress Move your finger on the progress bar Learn to play video files stored in your device. to play a specific point in the file 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. When you use the Bluetooth headsets, these and select Video Player.
Camera and camcorder • To select a sensitivity of camera imaging sensor, select Learn the basics to capture and view photos and • To zoom in or out, select videos. To use the camera and camcorder, you must 4. Press the Camera key to take a photo. The first insert a memory card.
• To set the exposure value, select Option Function • To select a sensitivity of camera imaging Effects Apply a special effect sensor, select Image Quality Set the quality of your digital images • To zoom in or out, select Metering Select a type of exposure metering 5.
→ Customise camera settings Before capturing a video, select to access the following settings: → Before capturing a photo, select to access the following settings: Setting Function Set the camera to switch to the Setting Function Review review screen after capturing Set the camera to record GPS photos information to photos...
2. Select an image folder → an image file. 3. Control playback using the following icons and keys: Photos you have captured are saved in Camera pictures. Icon/Key Function 3. Scroll left or right to view photos. Pause or resume playback •...
• You must register the DivX code at the DivX Share images or videos website. To check your DivX code, from the 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Home screen, open the application list and and select Gallery. select DivX®...
YouTube™ Icon/Key Function Scan forward YouTube is a free online video streaming service. Volume Learn to view and share videos via YouTube. Adjust the volume Progress Move your finger on the progress bar Watch videos to view a specific point in the video 1.
Java ME applications Launch a Java application 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Learn to use Java Micro Edition (ME) applications on and select Java ME Apps. your device. Java ME supports networked and offline applications that can be downloaded 2.
• Background running: Set whether or not Java can run in the background while you use other applications. • No default MIDlet: Set the default MIDlet to be launched from a suite when there is more than one MIDlet. • Full screen mode support: Set to display the currently running Java application in full screen mode.
Contacts personal Learn to use contact cards and groups to store personal information, such as names, phone numbers, and addresses. productivity Create a contact To create a contact from the dialler screen, Learn to manage contacts and schedule calendar 1. From the Home screen, press [ ] to display a events.
To create a contact from the contact list, Find a contact 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Contacts. and select Contacts. ] → New contact. ] → Search. 2.
Set up a favourite contact list 3. Select the check box next to Only contacts with phones → Done. You can set contacts as your favourites and manage Contacts that have phone numbers are filtered them separately from your regular contacts. Start by the option.
View multiple calendars 3. Complete the fields and adjust the settings for your event. If you have created Google Calendar on the web In the Calendar field, select a calendar to display and synchronised to your device, you can select a (if you have more than one).
View event reminders If you set a reminder alarm for a calendar event, the icon appears on the status bar. 1. Drag the status bar down from the top of the screen to open the notification list. 2. Select a reminder to view more details about the event.
Browser Learn to access and bookmark your favourite web pages. • You may incur additional charges for accessing the web and downloading media. Learn to connect to the wireless web with the built-in • The browser application may be labelled web browser.
2. Access a web page: Open multiple pages ] → Bookmarks → a bookmark. • Press [ You can open multiple pages and switch back and ] → Bookmarks, select the Most • Press [ forth between them. visited or History tab, and select a web 1.
3. Enter a keyword in the search field. 3. In another application, touch and hold the text input field. The web page will highlight the text that matches your input. 4. Select Paste to insert the text into the field. Bookmark your favourite web pages Layar 1.
1. From the Home screen, press [ ] or select Change the map view Google Search field. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list The Quick Search Box will appear. and select Maps. You can directly access Quick Search Box 2.
Find your location Get directions to a specific destination 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Maps. and select Maps. ] → My Location. ] → Directions. 2.
Bluetooth tools Learn about your device’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature Learn how to work with your mobile device’s tools 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and additional applications.
2. Select a device from the Bluetooth device list. Allow other Bluetooth devices to locate your device 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, From the Home screen, open the application list and and select OK.
Activate and connect to a WLAN Add a WLAN 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Wireless & networks → and select Settings → Wireless & networks → Wi-Fi settings →...
] → Desk clock. 3. Press [ Stop an alarm 4. While using the clock display, use the following When an alarm sounds, select Dismiss to stop the features: alarm or Snooze to repeat the alarm after 10 • To create or delete an alarm, select minutes.
2. Enter the numbers and operators using the Play a voice memo calculator buttons on the screen. 1. From the voice recorder screen, press [ ] and To clear the displayed numbers, select CLEAR. select Voice clips. 3. To view the result, select =. 2.
My Files Switchers Learn to view all files and folders on your memory You can activate or deactivate the GPS, Wi-Fi, card. Bluetooth, and Auto sync features quickly. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select My Files.
To access your device settings, settings 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings. 2. Select a category. Learn about your device settings. Wireless & networks Change the settings for wireless network connections. Airplane mode Disable all wireless functions on your device. Wi-Fi Turn the WLAN feature on or off.
Wi-Fi settings VPN settings • Wi-Fi: Turn the WLAN feature on or off. Set up Vertual Private Network (VPN) server connections. • Network notification: Set the device to notify you when an open network is available. Mobile networks • Add Wi-Fi network: Add WLAN networks. •...
Call settings Voicemail settings Change the voice mail number. Change the settings for call functions. Call forwarding Fixed Dialing Numbers Divert incoming calls to another number. When you • Enable FDN: Restrict outgoing calls only to divert calls, you must specify a receiving number or contacts specified in the SIM or USIM card.
• Auto Answer: Select the length of time before the Ringer volume device answers a call automatically when you do Set the default volume of the call ringtone and not answer. This is available only when the notifications. headset or Bluetooth headset is connected. Media volume Network operators Set the default volume for music and videos.
Audible touch tones Animation Set the device to sound when you touch the keys on Set the device to display animation when you switch the dialler. between windows. Audible selection Brightness Set the device to sound when you select an Adjust the brightness of the screen.
Use GPS satellites Use tactile feedback Enable the GPS functionality for checking locations, Set the device to vibrate when you touch and draw if supported in an application. You can view locations the unlock pattern. at street level by using the GPS. Set up SIM card lock Set unlock pattern •...
Install from SD card Unknown sources Install encrypted certificates that are stored on a Select to download applications from any source. If memory card. you do not select this option, you can download applications only from Android Market. Set password Manage applications Create and confirm a password for accessing credentials.
Select which applications are synchronised with the to a PC by using a PC data cable. Google server. p. 32 • If you want to use Samsung PC Studio Background data (Samsung Kies), you need to deactivate the USB mass storage mode in Applications →...
Use My Location Search Set the device to use your current location for Change Google Search settings. Google services. Google search settings Back up my settings • Show web suggestions: Set the device to Back up and restore your device’s settings to display suggestions while you are entering a Google server.
Language & keyboard punctuation mark, such as a period, question mark, or exclamation mark. Change the settings for text input. • Quick fixes: Set the device to consider your common mistakes and display word suggestions Select locale when Show suggestions is selected. Select a display language for all menus and •...
Accessibility Always use my settings Set the device to use the settings you specify in Set a type or intensity of the vibration as your applications rather than the default settings. preference. Speech rate Text-to-speech Select a speed for the text-to-speech feature. Change the settings for the text-to-speech feature that reads aloud text from messages or applications Language...
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile device, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your device or while you are Code Try this to solve the problem: using the device, it prompts you to enter one of Your SIM or USIM card is blocked, the following codes: usually as a result of entering your PIN...
The device prompts you to insert the SIM card. Your display shows white lines Ensure that the SIM or USIM card is installed The display may show white lines if you have turned correctly. the device on after a long period of disuse or if you removed the battery without first turning off the Your device does not show a signal (no bars device.
Another caller cannot hear you speaking The battery does not charge properly or sometimes your device turns itself off while • Ensure that you are not blocking the built-in charging microphone. • Disconnect the device from the charger, remove • Move the built-in microphone closer to your and reinstall the battery, and try charging again.
Your device prompts you to delete some data • Ensure that the distance between the devices is within a range and that they are not separated by The available memory is low. Move your data to a walls or other obstacles. memory card or delete old items from applications.
Your device freezes or has fatal errors Hard reset removes all installed applications and data stored in your device and resets all Installed applications may cause errors. In this case, settings back to factory preconfigured enter Safe mode and then delete the latest settings.
index Android market calculator making, 34 multiparty, 37 applications calendar placing on hold, 36 downloading from Android changing views, 56 retrieving held calls, 36 Market, 31 creating events, 57 downloading from web, 32 viewing multiple calendars, 57 camera viewing history, 32 viewing reminders, 58 clock viewing today, 57...
copy and paste Google Maps viewing multimedia, 38 in a web page, 61 viewing text, 38 Google Search in an application, 30 multimedia messages Google Talk date and time sending, 38 viewing, 38 email messages home screen sending email, 41 music player sending Google mail, 39 internet, see web browser...
security touch tone Wi-Fi, see wireless LAN SIM card unlock pattern wireless LAN adding networks, 66 status bar videos connecting to, 66 capturing, 46 switchers sharing 50 YouTube sync with Google server sharing, 51 auto-sync, 32 viewing, 46 manually, 33 volume text call volume, 35...
EN 301 908-2 V3.2.1 (05-2007) EN 300 328 V1.7.1 (10-2006) * It is not the address of Samsung Service Centre. For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your product.
Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your device depending on the software of the device or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-28456A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 03/2010. Rev. 2.0...