RHEL 4 Update 2 WS
AMD64/EM64T May Panic on xw9300 when the X Server Starts with
the NVidia Accelerated Driver
If your system meets all of the criteria listed in the "scope" section below, your system will crash the
kernel when you start the Xserver.
HP xw9300 Workstation with:
RHEL 4/Update 2, AMD/EM64T version
4 GB of memory, or greater
Nvidia accelerated graphics driver installed & configured
BIOS option "memory remapping" enabled
HP recommends performing one the following workaround to avoid the issue.
Modify the BIOS to disable Memory Remapping:
1. Reboot the system.
2. When you see the blue highlighted "F1: Boot" press the F10 key for Setup.
3. Select your language.
4. Use your Arrow keys to move across to "Advanced."
5. Use your Arrow keys to move down to "Chipset/Memory."
6. Use your Arrow keys to move down to "Memory Remapping."
7. Use your -> Arrow key to set the entry to "Disable."
8. Press F10 to Accept. Press F10 again followed by the Enter key and press F10 one last time to
save the changes.
9. Proceed with the install as usual.
See Red Hat's Knowledge Base for additional information:
Red Hat expect to have this issue resolved in an errata kernel by October 26, 2005. Please refer to
the above Red Hat Knowledge base as well as this advisory for updated information.