Connecting to a Computer
By connecting a computer to the [USB TO HOST] terminal, you can transfer data
between the instrument and the computer via MIDI, and use the computer to control,
edit and organize data on the instrument.
Precautions when using the [USB TO HOST] terminal
When connecting the computer to the [USB TO HOST] terminal, make sure to
observe the following points. Failing to do so risks freezing the computer and
corrupting or losing the data. If the computer or the instrument freezes, restart
the application software or the computer OS, or turn the power to the instrument
off then on again.
• Use an AB type USB cable of less than about 3 meters.
• Before connecting the computer to the [USB TO HOST] terminal, exit from any power-saving mode of
the computer (such as suspend, sleep, standby).
• Before turning on the power to the instrument, connect the computer to the [USB TO HOST] terminal.
• Execute the following before turning the power to the instrument on/off or plugging/unplugging the
USB cable to/from the [USB TO HOST] terminal.
• Quit any open application software on the computer.
• Make sure that data is not being transmitted from the instrument. (Data is transmitted only by play-
ing notes on the keyboard or playing back a song.)
• While the computer is connected to the instrument, you should wait for six seconds or more between
these operations: (1) when turning the power of the instrument off then on again, or (2) when alter-
nately connecting/disconnecting the USB cable.
CVP-509/505/503/501 Owner's Manual
You need to install a USB-MIDI
driver to connect the computer
and the instrument. Refer to the
separate Installation Guide.
You can also use the MIDI IN/OUT
terminals to connect to a computer. In
this case, a MIDI interface (such as
the Yamaha UX16) is needed. For
more information, refer to the owner's
manual of the MIDI interface.
• The instrument will begin transmis-
sion a short time after the USB
connection is made.
• When using a USB cable to connect
the instrument to your computer,
make the connection directly with-
out passing through a USB hub.
• For information on setting up your
sequence software, refer to the
owner's manual of the relevant soft-