Introduction Thank you for using our embroidery design software My Custom Design. My Custom Design enables you to create original embroidery patterns directly from the screen of your Brother household computerized sewing machine that is equipped with the compatible embroidery function. Before using this software, carefully read the instructions contained in this manual in order to fully understand each of the various functions and the correct operation of this software.
What You Can Do With This Software This software allows you to create original patterns just by using the touch pen (stylus) or pen tablet to draw images and text on the screen of the sewing machine or the tablet and painting the drawing with the desired colors as easily as drawing images and text on paper with a pen.
Chapter 1 Before Use Checking Sewing Machine My Custom Design can be used with the following sewing machines. Check that your sewing machine model and its program version meets the following requirements. Models: NV1/NV1e/NV6000D/NV6700D Program: KIT II certified The KIT II certification can be checked by pressing (Settings) key.
USB Media Important: Since all data saving media, including USB media, may sometimes fail, we recommend that you make backup copies for all saved data. The sewing machine reads this software and starts it up from USB media. In addition, data created with this application is stored on the USB media.
Setting The Sewing Machine To Start Up The Software The sewing machine must first be set so that My Custom Design can be started up. “Application Check” on the settings screen must be set to “ON”. If the sewing machine is turned on with USB media inserted, the machine checks the software on the USB media, and then starts it up.
Insert the USB media containing the application into the primary (top) USB port on the right side of the machine. Caution • Do not insert anything other than USB media into the USB media port. Otherwise, the USB media drive may be damaged.
Key Operations Press to display the screen shown at the left. Notes • Screen illustrations may vary due to model of machine. • You can use the pen tablet for operations in the settings screen. 1 Adjusts the speaker volume Press to adjust the speaker volume.
Basic Procedure Overview The basic procedure is described below. For details, refer to the indicated page. Draw the lines of the pattern Adding color to the pattern. Specifying the stitching → in the patter n drawing settings. (→ page 26) page 31) screen.
Application Screens Pattern Drawing Screen When My Custom Design is started up, the following pattern drawing screen appears. The pattern can be drawn in this screen. Pattern drawing area Draw the pattern within this area. The actual dimension of the pattern area is the size of the extra large embroidery frame (30 cm (height) ×...
Key Name Description Reference Continuous Press this key to draw straight lines that are connected. straight line key Circle key Press this key to draw circles. Ellipse key Press this key to draw ellipses. Square key Press this key to draw squares. Rectangle key Press this key to draw rectangles.
Embroidery Data Check Screen Once you are finished drawing the pattern, press the convert key in the pattern drawing screen to convert the image data to embroidery data. When the data is converted, the embroidery data check screen appears. The total number of stitches is displayed. The necessary amount of time required to sew the pattern is displayed.
Chapter 2 Creating a Sample Pattern In order to get a better understanding of how to use this software, we will describe the procedure for creating the pattern shown at the left as an example. By creating an actual pattern, you can learn to master the operation of this software.
■ Creating the Desired Circle Undoing If the position or size of the shape is not what you want, the drawn line can be erased so that it can be drawn again. There are many ways of erasing lines, but here we will explain how to use To undo the last drawing operation, press .
2. Drawing Straight Lines That Are Connected Press so that it changes to Touch the point that will be the beginning of the drawing. Touch the next point where you wish to add a corner. A straight line is drawn connecting the starting point and the next point touched.
3. Drawing an Ellipse Press so that it changes to From the point that will be the center of the ellipse, drag the pen along the screen until the ellipse is the desired size. When the ellipse is the desired size, remove the pen from the screen.
4. Selecting For example, select the section to be deleted here. Before moving, copying or deleting sections, use to select the area to be moved, copied or deleted. Press so that it changes to From the top-left corner of the section, drag the pen along the screen so that the section completely fits within the red frame (selection frame) that is drawn.
5. Deleting Lines (Drawing a Half Ellipse) Here, we will explain how to delete lines using Before deleting a line using , press so that it changes , and then select the section to be deleted. (Refer to page 17.) Lines can also be erased by selecting the key.
6. Moving Before moving, press so that it changes to , and then select the section to be moved. (Refer to page 17.) Follow the procedure described in “4. Selecting” to select the section to be moved. Touch inside the red frame (selection frame) with the pen, and then drag the pen along the screen to move the selection.
7. Copying Before copying, press so that it changes to , and then select the section to be copied. (Refer to page 17.) Follow the procedure described in “1. Drawing a Circle” to draw an circle. Follow the procedure described in “4. Selecting” to select the section to be copied.
8. Drawing Lines Freehand If the freehand line key is selected, the pen can be used to freely draw lines on the screen as easily as drawing images and text on paper with a pen. Press so that it changes to .
10. Drawing a Rectangle Press so that it changes to From a point that will be a corner of the rectangle, drag the pen along the screen until the rectangle is the desired size. When the rectangle is the desired size, remove the pen from the screen.
■ Creating the Desired Drawing Unnecessary lines and lines not drawn as desired can be erased by pressing . Lines can also be deleted by pressing , as described in “5. Deleting Lines (Drawing a Half Ellipse)” on page 18; however, to erase detailed sections or if the desired area cannot be surrounded by a selection frame, press .
Working With Detailed Sections Working within the enlarged area makes it easier to draw or erase detailed lines. Working Within the Enlarged Area Press so that it changes to The blue frame and the enlarged area appear. The section of the pattern within the blue frame is shown enlarged.
Precautions on Drawing • Do not try to fill an area with lines, otherwise the drawing cannot be converted to embroidery data. • Color can only fill an outlined area. Be sure to design the area that you wish to fill with color so that it is outlined.
Adding Color to the Pattern Next, we will add color to the lines and areas. 1. Selecting the Line Color Press When the application is started up, the line color is black. The screen shown at the left appears. Touch the thread color showing the desired color. For this example, select black.
2. Selecting the Area Colors Press Press when the following message appears. The screen shown at the left appears. Touch the thread color showing the desired color. For this example, select red. To quit selecting a color, press Notes • The color selected for the lines is not available in the palette of colors for the areas.
When a color is selected, the palette is automatically closed. The color changes to the color selected with In addition, changes to , indicating that an area can be filled with the selected color. After the color of an area is selected, lines of the drawing other than those drawn freehand to close openings cannot be added, edited or their color changed.
Color Is Not Correctly Added Only outlined areas can be filled with color correctly. If an area will not be filled with correct color or will not be filled with color at all, that area is not completely surrounded by lines. to correct the lines so that the areas are outlined.
After finding the opening, press so that it changes Within the enlarged area, close the opening in the line. Change the color of the area with the incorrect color as described in steps 1 through 5 of “2. Selecting the Area Colors”...
Specifying Stitching Settings Lines of the drawing are sewn with satin stitches and areas are sewn with fill stitches. The following settings can be specified. 1 Satin stitch (lines): thickness and stitch density 2 Fill stitch (areas): sewing direction and stitch density If the drawing data is saved, the settings can be changed after a trial embroidery of the design is sewn.
2. Specifying the Width of Satin Stitches Press beside (The default setting is 2.0 mm when the application is started up.) To select a narrower width, press . To select a wider width, press Each press of makes the width narrower by 0.5 Each press of makes the width wider by 0.5 A setting between 1.0 mm and 3.0 mm in 0.5 mm...
4. Specifying the Stitch Density Press beside (The default setting is 100 % when the application is started up.) To select a coarser density, press . To select a finer density, press ← ← → → 90 % 100 % 110 % Setting examples 90 % (coarse)
Additional Functions Reducing the Pattern Size The size of the created pattern can be changed. Select a size from 50%, 70% and 100%. Notes • The pattern can also be enlarged or reduced from the embroidering or embroidery-editing screen of the sewing machine. If the desired size cannot be selected with this software or if a specific size is required, adjust the size from the sewing machine.
Converting to Embroidery Data Now, the created image data can be converted to embroidery data. Press The following message appears. If the image data is correctly converted to embroidery data, the embroidery data check screen shown at the left appears. The pattern moves to the center of the embroidery pattern display area and the embroidery data is displayed.
Viewing an Image of the Embroidered Pattern Press An image of the pattern as it will be embroidered appears. 1 Press these keys to display the pattern in the various sizes of embroidery frames. The embroidery frames that appear in gray on the gray keys cannot be selected. 2 Press this key to display the pattern enlarged.
Saving the Embroidery Data The embroidery data can be saved on USB media. Notes • Saved embroidery data cannot be recalled with My Custom Design. To recall data and edit it with My Custom Design, save the image data on USB media before converting it to embroidery data or press after the conversion to return to the pattern drawing screen, and then save the image data on USB media.
■ If the Embroidery Data Cannot Be Saved If the screen shown at the left appears, the embroidery data cannot be saved because the USB media is full or the embroidery data being saved is larger than the amount of space available. To be able to save the embroidery data, previously saved embroidery data must be deleted.
A list of saved embroidery data is displayed. When saving onto USB media containing data other than embroidery data, such as image data, nothing is displayed. Press , and then change the USB media. To quit recalling, press Select the pattern to be deleted. 1 If a pattern is selected to be deleted, the size of the data for the selected pattern is displayed.
To delete the selected pattern data, press To stop the process, press The embroidery data is deleted, and if the required amount of free space is made available, the new embroidery data is automatically saved. If the amount of free space is not enough, another saved embroidery pattern must be deleted.
Chapter 3 Other Functions Tracing a Picture using the Pen Tablet You can draw beautiful pictures using the pen tablet, even if you are not very good at drawing. Find a favorite picture and print out onto paper to use for a tracing pattern. Connect the pen tablet to the sewing machine.
Saving Image Data Saved data that has been converted to embroidery data cannot be recalled with My Custom Design. To recall data and edit it with My Custom Design, save the image data on USB media before converting it to embroidery data or press after the conversion to return to the pattern drawing screen, and then save the data.
■ If the Image Data Cannot Be Saved If the screen shown at the left appears, the image data cannot be saved because either the USB media is full or the embroidery data being saved is larger than the amount of space available. To be able to save the image data on the USB media, previously saved image data must be deleted.
A list of saved image data is displayed. Select the image data to be recalled. The following message appears. Caution Do not turn off the machine while this message is displayed, otherwise saved data may be lost. In addition, do not try to remove the USB media while recalling data, otherwise the USB media may be damaged.
Clearing The Screen All operations that were performed can be stopped and the screen appears as it did when My Custom Design was started up. Press The following message appears. To delete the data, press To stop the process, press The screen appears as it did when the application was started up.
Closing The Application To Use The Sewing Machine You can close the application to use the sewing machine without turning the machine off, then on again. Press The following message appears. To close the application, press To stop closing the application, press The home screen appears.
Correcting Shrinkage When created embroidery data is sewn, areas of the embroidery may shrink. If this occurs, correct the shrinkage. ■ Shrinkage The size of the pattern is enlarged and areas (fill stitches) shrink along the sewing direction. Since areas shrink while lines (satin stitches) are sewn with the size before shrinking, the lines and areas are no longer aligned.
Chapter 4 Troubleshooting ERROR MESSAGES If an operation is performed incorrectly, the buzzer sounds and an error message appears. If an error message appears, follow the instructions given in the error message to correct the problem. (The message that is displayed can be cancelled either by pressing performing the operation correctly.) This message appears This message appears...
This message This message appears appears when when you try to use first pressed. incompatible media. These messages This message appear when the size appears when you of the pattern data attempt to select a to be saved exceeds pattern after the USB the amount of space media in which the available on the USB...