Cisco Nexus 1000V Series
Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches are virtual software switches that ensure
secure network connectivity for all the VMs in the datacenter. The solution is based
on the standard IEEE 802. 1 Q and is integrated with VMware vSphere. Cisco Nexus
1000V Series Switches deliver highly secure multitenant services by adding
virtualization intelligence to the data center network. Nexus 1000V comprises two
• Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM), a software-based switch embedded in the
• Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM), which manages networking policies and
quality of service for virtual machines in concert with the VEM
Nexus 1000V can optimize the use of layer 4–7 services in a virtual machine
environment through Cisco vPath architecture services.
• Cisco vPath technology is aware of all L4–7 policies associated with individual
virtual machines. Once the data packets of a specific virtual machine have been
identified and policies applied, the remaining data packets flow directly to the
• Cisco Virtual Security Gateway (VSG), integrated with the Nexus 1000V Switch
provides trusted multitenant access with granular zone-based security policies
for virtual machines. VSG delivers security policies across multiple servers,
supporting virtual machine mobility across physical servers for workload
balancing, availability, or scale for business growth in cloud computing.
• Cisco vWAAS, a WAN optimization solution, integrated with Nexus 1000V
Switch, delivers application performance acceleration to IT users connected to
enterprise data centers and enterprise private clouds.
• Developed in close collaboration with VMware, the Cisco Nexus 1000V Series is
certified by VMware to be compatible with VMware vSphere, vCenter, ESX, and
ESXi, and with many other vSphere features.