107.28786 (21HP Briggs & Stratton with 42" Mower)
107.26786 (21HP Briggs & Stratton with 42" Mower, California)
107.28791 (26HP Kohler with 50" Mower)
107.28790 (26HP Briggs & Stratton with 50" Mower)
Ground Speed &
For Assembly You Will Need:
• Pry Bar • Tin Snips or Banding Cutter
• Unleaded fuel • 6-10 amp Battery Charger
• Tire Pressure Gauge
■ Operator's Manual
Make sure you have all
items before assembly.
Do not return to store. We can help.
Call Customer Service Toll-Free
Or visit our website www.craftsman.com
Remove the Packaging Materials
• Remove the cardboard from the crate. Remove any steel banding
securing the unit to the crate. Locate the manual packet.
Read the Operator's Manual
• Locate the operator's manual in the manual packet. You should always
read and follow the instructions in the operator's manual. Proper care,
performance tips, and safety information are located in this important
Check the Tire Pressure
• Reduce the tire pressures to the pressures shown below. Tires are over-
inflated for shipping purposes and must be set to the correct pressures for
Rear Tire Pressure: 10-12 PSI
Front Tire Pressure: 18-20 PSI
Check Engine Oil Level
Note: Engine is shipped with oil. Add 10W-30 premium engine oil if oil level
is low. See Operator's Manual for complete engine oil specifications and
• Lift the seat deck (A, Figure 4) to access the engine compartment.
• Clean the area around the dip stick/oil fill tube (A, Figure 5). Remove the
dip stick from the oil fill tube and wipe the dip stick with a clean rag.
• Insert the dip stick into the oil fill tube (thread in or push down
• Remove and check the engine oil level (B). Oil level should be between
Full and Add marks. If necessary, add oil to the oil fill tube.
• Replace and fully secure the dip stick (A).
26HP Briggs & Stratton:
21HP Briggs & Stratton:
2 Quarts (1.9L) with oil filter.
1.5 Quarts (1.42L) with oil filter.
Charge the Battery
Batteries contain acid. Always keep the battery upright and do not spill the
battery acid. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
Changing the battery produces explosive hydrogen gas. Only charge the
battery in a well ventilated area, away from any ignition source such as a
water heater, electric motor, or a lit cigarette.
Wear Protective Equipment
Always wear gloves and safety glasses when handling the battery and
• Lift the seat deck (A, Figure 4) to access the battery. If the unit is being put
into service after the month and year indicated on the battery date tag
(located on top of battery) charge the battery for one hour at 6-10 amps.
Refer to the SERVICE & ADJUSTMENTS section of the operator's manual
for battery charging information.
© Sears Brands, LLC.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information in this document is accurate and current. However, we reserve the right to change, alter or otherwise improve the product and this document at any time without prior notice.
Ground Speed Levers -
1.6 Quarts (1.5L) with oil filter.
Rotating blades cut off arms and legs.
Operating on slopes can cause loss of
control and roll-overs.
• Stop the mower when children or others are
• If you cannot back-up a hill, do not drive
• Do not carry riders (especially children) even
• If machine stops while going uphill,
with the blades off. They may fall off or return
turn the blades off and back down slowly.
for another ride when you are not expecting it.
• Avoid sudden turns.
• Look down and behind before and while
• Go up and down slopes, not across.
Carbon monoxide hazard
Gasoline is flammable.
The engine emits poisonous carbon
Yard debris is combustible.
• Allow engine to cool for at least 3 minutes
• Avoid inhaling exhaust fumes.
• Only operate outdoors.
• Keep unit cleaned of debris.
Avoid serious injury or death:
• Know the location and function of
• Remove objects that could be thrown by the blade.
• Be sure blade(s) and engine are stopped before
• Keep safety devices (guards, shields,
placing hands or feet near blade(s).
switches, etc.) in place and working.
• When leaving machine, shut off, remove key, and
set parking brake.
Fill-Up with FRESH Gasoline
• Lift the seat deck (A, Figure 4) to access the fuel cap and tank.
• Remove the fuel tank cap and fill the tank with fresh fuel (Figure 7).
After fueling, securely install the cap and wipe up any fuel that may
have spilled. See the Operator's Manual for fuel recommendations.
The single most common service issue is stale or contaminated fuel!
Fuel should not be more than 30 days old. Use fuel stabilizer to extend
the life of your fuel, and always store fuel in an approved, sealed,
plastic gas can. Stale fuel clean-out is not covered under your warranty.
Fuel Tank Capacity: 3 Gallons (11.36L)
Start the Engine
The numbered steps below correspond to the numbered call-outs in
Figure 8 at left.
1. Sit in the seat.
2. Move ground speed levers to START/PARK positions (move both
3. Turn mower blades to OFF (push switch down).
4. Move engine speed control to FAST position.
5. Pull choke knob up to CLOSED position.
6. Turn ignition switch to START to crank the engine.
7. After the engine starts:
-Release the ignition switch key (it will return to the RUN position).
-Push the choke knob down to OPEN position.
NOTE: Always set the engine speed to FAST for driving and mowing.
Drive the Unit Off the Crate
• Start the engine using the procedure above.
• Use the mower cutting height switch (Figure 1) to raise the mower
deck to its highest cutting height.
• Pull the ground speed control levers in to DRIVE positions
(Figure 8 inset) and slowly move them forward to drive the unit off
the crate. When you are off the crate, return the ground speed
control levers to their START/PARK positions (Figure 8).
• Read and understand mowing section of Operator's Manual.
• Set the mower cutting height to the BEST CUT position found on the
mower cutting height indicator (A, Figure 9).
• Turn the mower blades on by pulling the mower blade switch
(3, Figure 8) UP.
• Pull the ground speed control levers in to DRIVE positions and
Stopping the Rider and Engine
• Return the ground speed control levers to START/PARK positions
(Figure 8) to stop rider movement and engage the parking brake.
• Turn the mower blades OFF by pushing the mower blade switch
down to the OFF position (3, Figure 8).
• Turn the ignition switch (6, Figure 8) to OFF. Remove the key.
• Read the operator's manual
before using this product.
Form No. 7102145-00