Table of Contents Course A-125 - Car Amp & Video, 4. Car Music Storage Unit ....34 & Music Storage Units Playback ..............34 Introduction ............1 Recording .............. 36 Recording from CD (into the HDD) ....37 1. Car Power Amplifier ......2 Checking out Songs from the Hard Drive Circuit Block Concept/Overview ......
1. DA-4 & DA-4X PCB Interconnection Course A-125 Car Amp & Video, & Music Storage Units Introduction This booklet is divided into four chapters covering the following: 1. Car Power Amplifiers – Sample model XM1502SX / XM2150GSX (very similar to XM5150GSX, XM-1902SX and XM475GSX).
1. Car Power Amplifier Chapter 1 - Car Power Amplifier This power amplifier section is divided into the following parts: • Hookup • Circuit Block Concept / Overview • Pulse Power Supply – Power ON / Audio Unmute • Pulse Power Supply – Oscillator / Output •...
1. Car Power Amplifier Center - If both left and right inputs were used with a single speaker output, the sounds common to both channels are doubled to the speaker, making this configuration useful as a center channel. Center channel operation is possible because of two signal inversions.
1. Car Power Amplifier The car amplifier stages are listed in Table 1-2. The operational inputs and outputs are also listed. Table 1-1 - Amplifier Stages (refer to Figure 1-2) Stage Major Parts Constant Inputs Switched Inputs Output(s) Power ON Q901-3 Battery +12V REM (7.4V min)
1. Car Power Amplifier Q102,Q202 LINE SW. Q103-Q113 IC101-IC104 LEFT OUTPUT STAGE PREAMP./FILTER Q102 OUTPUT R129 Q203-Q213 IC201-IC204 RIGHT OUTPUT STAGE PREAMP./FILTER OUTPUT Q202 Q801 R804 R229 R802 Q802 100k -14.2V 14.2V R801 1M D801 SWITCHED 6.8V D802 +12V +12V Q901 R909 F901...
1. Car Power Amplifier Pulse Power Supply – Oscillator / Output Refer to Figure 1-4 (oscillator) and 1-5 (driver). The switching power supply consists of the oscillator within IC901, the MOSFET drivers (Q904-8) transistors and the multiple winding transformer (T901) that it feeds. TO T901 TO Q801,802 FROM...
1. Car Power Amplifier Referring to Figure 1-5, the oscillator signal is output and amplified by Q904 - Q907, which are four MOSFET devices that feed T901. Q908 and Q909 are spike overload prevention transistors that prevent Q904/5 from conducting at the same time Q906/7 are conducting and vice versa. For example, when a positive signal is output IC901/pin 10, the positive drivers Q904/ Q905 turn ON.
1. Car Power Amplifier Operational test To prove the device is functional: 1. Connect the negative lead of the ohmmeter to the SOURCE lead. 2. Touch the ohmmeter positive lead to the gate to pre-charge it. 3. Connect the ohmmeter positive lead to the DRAIN. If the device is good, you will get a resistance reading of about 400-1k ohms.
1. Car Power Amplifier Audio Processing – Output Operation Refer to Figure 1-7. With 1 Vp-p input to the amplifier, there is about 6 Vp-p applied to the output stage at line switch Q102. This output stage has two input differential amplifier stages instead of one. This keeps the output stage balanced under severe operating conditions but is a little more difficult to troubleshoot.
1. Car Power Amplifier +50V -50V R133 D103 Q106 -2.5V Q109, Q111,Q113 Q104 P CH. R140 R132 Q104 R128 100k 4.7k 0.22 -50V -REF R144 R139 C123 AUDIO VIA Q107 (+39V) 2.2k 100k LINE SW. LEFT IC102/E SPEAKER BIAS OUTPUT 0.22 +REF CONTROL...
1. Car Power Amplifier Prerequisites: • The output transistors need not be connected. It is best to not have them connected unless you know they are all good. If one were leaky, it will cause an imbalance in the entire stage so you could not tell if the imbalance was in the outputs or input.
1. Car Power Amplifier Protection Circuit – PS Oscillator Stop 1 (Thermal) Concept Refer to Figure 1-9. The power supply oscillator within DC-DC Converter IC901 starts when voltage is applied to pin 12. This 36kHz oscillator can be stopped for amplifier protection if the voltage at pins 1 or 16 rises to 1.2Vdc. The protection circuits external to IC901 keep this voltage latched high (oscillator = OFF) when the circuit is tripped.
1. Car Power Amplifier Table 1-4 shows the normal operating voltages of IC901. Table 1-4 - IC901 uPC494GS-F1 - Normal Operating Voltages IC901/pin Voltage IC901/pin Voltage IC901/pin Voltage 1 (protect 0 Vdc 7 (gnd) 0 Vdc 13 (reg out) 5 Vdc input) 2 (ref in) 1.28 Vdc...
1. Car Power Amplifier When the amplifier gets hot, the TH thermistors decrease resistance, increasing the voltage at IC901/pin 16. If the voltage reaches the trip point of 1.2Vdc, IC901’s internal power supply oscillator stops, removing supply voltage to the amplifier. IC901 additionally outputs 5Vdc from pin 3 to keep the amplifier latched OFF and the Thermal LED ON via R1.
1. Car Power Amplifier Operation Refer to Figure 1-11. The offset protection circuit consists of: an imbalance circuit (Q803-804), a latch circuit (Q810-811), the LED indicator (D810) and the oscillator stop circuit inside IC901 (via pin 1). Both left and right audio output channels are sampled at the speaker output via R153 and R253.
1. Car Power Amplifier Q803-5, Q810-1 OFFSET DETECTION CIRCUIT 14.2V I DET-L I DET-R I DET-R D803 R827 OSC. STOP Q812 Q214 Q215 Q115 TO DC-DC CONV. IC901/PIN 2 D807 Q813 R829 R166 R285 R266 R813 LATCH OVER R258 R158 LED BD.
Chapter 3 - Display Products Sony introduced three car display products this year. The XAV-7W is an In-dash 7" monitor that displays a picture only when the car is stationary (parking brake = ON). The second display unit is a 7" monitor (XVM-R75) that can be mounted on the ceiling or on the back of a seat to keep the rear passengers occupied.
3. Display Products Panel - When the car is turned Off (no longer Acc voltage), the panel retracts with battery power. As soon as the car is turned back On, the unit recalls its last source / condition and opens the panel again (if the input battery power was not removed).
3. Display Products Figure 3-3 - Remove Top & Back Screws Figure 3-4 - Unplugging CN 5 does not hamper Operation Figure 3-5 - Remove Bezel to access Display Motor...
3. Display Products Figure 3-6 - Applying Power Internally Figure 3-7 - Three Motor Limit Switches Figure 3-8 - Monitor Panel Removal...
3. Display Products XAV-7W – Motor / Power ON Circuitry Power ON Refer to Figure 3-9. When the car key is turned to Acc position, the XAV-7W’s power supply is turned On and the unit powers up to the mode when the car was turned Off (unless the Battery cable at pin 16 was disconnected). IC703 turns On the power supply when it detects the Acc input at pin 81 and outputs a DDC-ON at pin 57.
3. Display Products Angle – From the monitor open position, the motor can be rotated in small steps to change viewing angles. IC703 accomplishes this using feedback from a PH780 photo detector to detect the fine movement of the gears (CN15/pin 15). See Figure 3-9. When either + angle button is pressed, IC703 changes the logic voltages (CN15/pin 13 and 14) applied to DEC IC710.
3. Display Products FROM MODULE IC201 MAIN BD. VIDEO INVERSION SYNC INTERFACE VIDEO (FRPT,FRPV) (SYNC) IC401 SYNC DRIVER COLOR BRIGHT 14V SOURCE F101 SYS B+ R108 (ACC R109 1.2 Ω SOURCE DISPLAY LCD PW CONT. IC900/52 TP156 Q501, T501 + - VOLTAGES DC/DC IC900 TO LCD...
3. Display Products CN601 Q608/E Fuse TP156 F101 FIGURE 3-11 - XAV-72 DISPLAY / MONITOR BOARD Voltage Measurement Tips: • The HV is 900Vac loaded and 1.5KV open circuited (no backlight). • Use a 10X-scope probe on a scope set to MINIMUM sensitivity if you want to observe the sine wave. •...
3. Display Products XVM-R75 - Video Monitor Operation General – This is a wide screen (16 x 9 aspect ratio) monitor only. Video and power come from the supplied XA- 117 connector box for permanent installation but audio/video 1 can be input directly into the monitor (phono jacks) perhaps from a camcorder.
3. Display Products Table 3-4 - XVM-R75 Power Consumption Battery Only Battery + Acc Motor Powered Display On 0.7mA 0.08A 0.63A 0.93 Pressing the Open / Close button triggers the motor, releases the plastic catch (via solenoid) and the display lowers.
3. Display Products Motor Drive – With power applied to the unit, pressing the Open / Close button is recognized by U505/pin 44 (HIGH). U505 checks the state of the limit switches to determine if the panel is open or closed and rotates the motor in one direction or another by outputting a HIGH at either pin 21 (forward) or 23 (backward).
3. Display Products Once power is applied, the backlight will illuminate. It is easy to see the light where the HV wires go into the backlight (see the thick HV wires in Figure 3-17 at the bottom connector). Notes: 1. Current drain = 0.72A @ 12Vdc 2.
3. Display Products Table 3-5 - Model MEX-5Di Power Consumption Battery only Battery & Acc Panel motor On CD playback 2.6mA (dark) 0.93A Clock & backlight 1.06A 1.3A 1.00A Full width picture Power On Circuit – Refer to Figure 3-20. System Control (Syscon IC501) detects Acc voltage (car On) and powers up the unit by turning on various regulators, including the voltage to the backlight.
3. Display Products Fan - The rear fan only comes On (Figure 3-21) when either thermsitor (TH501 @ IC501/pin 47 or TH on the digital board) senses the backlight or digital board is hot. CN402 IC501 Fan Drive Syscon Q871-3 (Digital Bd) TH501 (Main Bd)
3. Display Products Normal Backlight Operation The backlight needs two voltages to operate: Refer to Figure 3-20. 1. Regulated 9Vdc (Power) from Q810 / Q812 (main board) through the Digital Board CN901/pin 32 – CN201/ pin 41-44 to the display board’s Q206/emitter. 2.
Chapter 4 - Car Music Storage Unit The model MEX-1HD is Sony’s first car AM/FM/CD Receiver with a built-in hard drive music storage unit. Since this model has many new functions and features, knowing what the product is capable of is important to fixing it.
4. Car Music Storage Unit CD - R/REW OPEN PANEL HDD DIG I/O MEM STICK OPEN SOURCE MENU FRONT DISPLAY PANEL VOL. PANEL DISP BLUE=PWR. ORANGE=REC.PREP. RELEASE REC. RED=REC. FUNCTION FIGURE 4-2 - MEX-1HD FRONT PANEL 4-2A125 1511 10/22/02 Selecting a Playback Source 1.
4. Car Music Storage Unit Table 4-2 - MEX-1HD Playback Sources Source Contents Displayed • 1. CD (also CD-R Number of tracks and CD-RW) • Playback time • 2. HDD Number of folders • HDD free (unused) space • Recording bit rate •...
The number of times the song can be checked out (when a CD is the music source) is often three but can be as high as four. This is represented as a musical note symbol, displayed at the left of the song title on the model MEX-1HD. SONY MODELMEX-1HD HARD DRIVE RECEIVER 10 GB HARD DRIVE (HDD) HOLDING 165 HRS.
4. Car Music Storage Unit 1. Press the “Source” button repeatedly Display panel changes to show inputs until the name of the source appears in available. the display panel. 2. Press the R knob when the desired The display will enter a sub menu, showing source appears (CD).
4. Car Music Storage Unit Checking out songs from the Hard Drive into the Memory Stick® You can either “check out” (copy) songs to a Magic Gate (MG) Memory Stick® (for playback on a computer or) MS Walkman. First select the source them the destination. Table 4-5 - Recording from the Hard Drive into the MG Memory Stick Procedure Feedback verification...
4. Car Music Storage Unit Checking back IN the music from the MGMemoryStick to the HDD You can return the song from the memory stick back to the hard drive by checking it back IN. Table 4-6 - Recording from Memory Stick® back into the HDD Procedure Feedback verification 1.
4. Car Music Storage Unit FIGURE 4-4 - CIRCUIT BOARD LAYOUT FIGURE 4-5 - CD REMOVED...
4. Car Music Storage Unit 2 Screws FIGURE 4-6 - FACEPLATE OPENING MECHANISM Hard Drive FIGURE 4-6 - HARD DRIVE LOCATION CD Circuitry The circuitry for the CD, Hard Drive, and Memory Stick® and Digital In / Out USB port storage devices are shown in Figure 4-8.
4. Car Music Storage Unit 0.2mW FROM CPU IC1010 LASER POWER MAIN BD. XCS4 STICK XIRQ SOCKET CN7 CN2002 IC4001 SLED COIL ZCS3FX XCS1 SDO TO D/A IC371 DRIVE OPTICAL XCS0 ZCS1FX IC2003 IC4002 UNIT STICK EEPROM DAX21EG INTR INTRQ INTERFACE ATAPI SPIN...
4. Car Music Storage Unit Table 4-7 - CD Circuit Control Board Function Servo Amplifies the RF data, focus and tracking signal from the Optical assembly for IC8. Regulates the laser light intensity after being turned ON by IC8. IC5, IC6 Servo Spindle, Sled, focus and tracking coil current amplifier Servo...
4. Car Music Storage Unit Rotate gears to unlock tray CN2002 Mail Bd. to CN2001 Servo Bc. Hard drive to Main Bd. Lift up Lift up CN2002 Data CN2003 Slide Slide FIGURE 4-9 - RIBBON CONNECTORS 11/11/02 Optical Cable (under board) Tray Open/ Close SW...
4. Car Music Storage Unit CN5 to Tray Motor Sled Focus Spin Driver Tray Motor First Unplug Optic Cable Control 11/14/02 FIGURE 4-11 - SERVO BOARD BOTTOM CN7 - Data CN6 - Power 9/27/02 FIGURE 4-12 - ACCESS TO CD CONNECTORS...
4. Car Music Storage Unit CD Start Up When power is applied to the Acc and Battery input, CD ROM IC8 and CPU IC1010 (CPU not shown in Figure 4- 8) are reset. IC1010 requests a check of all active storage devices using Chip Select (CS) and data bus lines. Five seconds after power is applied, the CD section is checked.
4. Car Music Storage Unit 0.2mW FROM CPU IC1010 LASER POWER MAIN BD. XCS4 STICK XIRQ CN7 CN2002 IC4001 SOCKET SLED COIL ZCS3FX XCS1 SDO TO D/A IC371 DRIVE OPTICAL XCS0 ZCS1FX IC2003 IC4002 UNIT STICK EEPROM DAX21EG INTR INTRQ INTERFACE ATAPI SPIN...
4. Car Music Storage Unit AM / FM / Aux Circuitry Refer to Figure 4-14. The bottom Sub board contains the analog signal processing and the input / output connectors. The choice of what is heard is input to IC501, this data is transferred along TXD / RXD lines (CN3002/pins 21 and 23) to CPU IC1010.
4. Car Music Storage Unit Memory Stick® Circuitry Refer to Figure 4-15. The Memory Stick® is ¾ the length of a piece of chewing gum at double the thickness. It contains ICs that store data. The capacities available are listed in the appendix of this book. Only the white plastic colored Magic Gate (MG) Memory Sticks®...
4. Car Music Storage Unit Display Circuitry Operation Refer to Figure 4-16. The display circuitry consists of several ICs on the main board to produce text or the illusion of motion using a changing array of lights on the fluorescent display tube. The purpose of the ICs shown is listed in table 4-9.
4. Car Music Storage Unit Pin Out to Faceplate The faceplate display not only needs the DC voltages shown listed in Figure 4-16 but also FL display communications to operate. Access to the CN524 connector on the bottom sub board is through a hatch at the bottom of the car stereo.
4. Car Music Storage Unit Figure 4-18 - Display Communications Signal Location Voltage 1 FL CN524/pin 4Vp-p Clock (5V/div) 2 FL CN524/pin 4Vp-p Latch (5V/div) 3 FL CN524/pin 4Vp-p Data (5V/div) 4 FL CN524/pin 4Vp-p Blank (5V/div) Time base = 100 usec/division FIGURE 4-18 - DISPLAY COMMUNICATIONS Left and Right Knob Switch Tests Table 4-10 shows the tests for the left (volume) and right (function) knobs.
Appendix A - Music Handling Appendix A - Music Handling Electronic Music Distribution (EMD) Electronic Music Distribution, or EMD, are companies that freely distribute or sell digital audio contents via the Internet. In order to download (EMD) music for conversion to OpenMG format, the following conditions are required: •...
Appendix A - Music Handling Check Out / In - The encryption allows the music to be played back on that host PC. Often the encryption allows a fixed number of copies to be made (usually three). If one copy is made (called “check out” from the host computer), the host computer shows two more copies are possible.
Appendix B - LCD Appendix B - LCD LCD Concept A Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) is a panel consisting of pixels (picture elements) that pass light when a voltage is applied to its crystal. The higher the voltage, the more light is passed. + / -- R, G or B Filter Back...
Appendix B - LCD A Video Decoder operating at a multiple of the color frequency (3.58MHz) will convert the input composite video to the RGB information (output). Next, a high-speed switch inserts the OSD (On Screen Display) information into the picture. Actually at each pixel, only one of the two pieces of information is allowed to appear on the LCD panel.
AppendixC - CD-R and CD-RW Appendix C - CD-R and CD-RW There are two types of CD writers (“burners”): CD-R and CD-RW. They both place music (CD) or computer data (CD-ROM) onto a 5" polycarbonate disc. CD-R drives can write or “burn” the CD-R disk only once so the CD-R disk contents are permanent.
AppendixC - CD-R and CD-RW Disc Comparisons Table C-1 compares the popular audio and video discs. Table C-1 - Disc Comparisons CD Media Disc Recording Drive PB * Advantage Disadvantages Capacity (“Burner”) 74 mins. Multi step disc CD/DVD pressing process player CD ROM CD-R (gold /...